Stove on 2nd floor and carrying wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lifeisgoodsteve

May 28, 2022
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Hi All,

Am considering the option of a small wood stove as primary heat source for the 900sf apartment over the garage (Western Montana).

Anyone have actual experience hauling wood upstairs for your primary heat source?

I've done a bunch of reading on here of the amount of wood people burn and sounds like it'd be quite a few pounds to bring up every day. This would be a full time rental.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Rea Residence - 5-2-22 without name.pdf
    421.5 KB · Views: 91
Unless you're renting to your adult child or close acquaintance with years of wood burning experience, I'd be very leery of cutting some random person loose making fire unsupervised in part of my home. Rentals and burning wood don't mix well to me. To each his/her own. Carrying the wood is a non-issue.
Welcome to Hearth.

Yeah, agree with it not being a good idea.

Storing multiple cords of wood, say 12,000 lbs worth, reloading the stove often as small stoves don’t have long burn times, chimney fires from wet wood and improper burning practices….

Sounds like a nightmare.

Yeah, agree with it not being a good idea.

Storing multiple cords of wood, say 12,000 lbs worth, reloading the stove often as small stoves don’t have long burn times, chimney fires from wet wood and improper burning practices….

Sounds like a nightmare.
Agreed. I feel confident that my stove would be overfired in no time if I rented my camp.

I carry all my wood (1-2 cords a year) up from my daylight basement level to my main floor. Sometimes I walk up the hill and in the first floor. Get a good heavy canvas bag. I can get two loads in one trip for my 1.7 cu ft stove. It’s not a huge bother. Extra flights of stairs is gets you more steps. Biggest bother for my is going out to my wood pile at the back of my lot in inclement weather.