Stove operating temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Considering the stove manufacturer said 800 was fine yes

Considering the stove manufacturer said 800 was fine yes but I only get it to 800 that’s the high I will do, and the dealer said the same thing. I asked how hot can I get it he said 800. But when’s it’s at 800 the temperature is on low.. it’s not wide open

Last edited by a moderator:
It is (at least *in* my stove) impossible to assess the temperature of metal using such a color table, because this table assumes black body emissions, and when something is that hot, it certainly is not a black body. Instead it also reflects a lot of the ambient light of the flames.

I used to be able to judge the temperature of silicon by its color from about 650 C up to 1300 C with a precision of at best 25 C simply by looking at it when it is inside an otherwise dark vacuum chamber. I have never been able to be confident in assessing the temperature (e.g. of the cat or the flame shield in front of my cat) by color in my stove.
You are right, was just a reminder, at the red glow that many manuals indicate, to determine, overheating, it seems that this happens above 1000 F, so at 600-800 we still have a lot of safety margin

Reactions: stoveliker
Considering the stove manufacturer said 800 was fine yes but I only get it to 800 that’s the high I will do, and the dealer said the same thing. I asked how hot can I get it he said 800. But when’s it’s at 800 the temperature is on low.. it’s not wide open
If you run it wide open it will without question overfire. Wide open is only used for startup

You are right, was just a reminder, at the red glow that many manuals indicate, to determine, overheating, it seems that this happens above 1000 F, so at 600-800 we still have a lot of safety margin
I would not reason like this. Red glowing is (by far) too hot for the metal and the welds.
It is an indicator that you went way too far.

Don't go above 800 F. That's the limit. The glowing is NOT the limit, the glowing is well over the limit.

I'd not regulate the air based on stove top temps, but based on flue temps, as they are less delayed. Cutting back at stove top temp of 800 will result in the temp likely going over the 800 for a while.

Yeah it’s never wide open. Only wide open doing start up. But when’s it’s at 800 the air is cut back
As expected. The high temp can be reduced by the way the stove is operated. This is covered in the other threads on the same topic. The stove will be ok running regularly at 800º but with greater stress on the internals and therefore shorter lifespan.

We let it cruise between 450-550*F

Fireplace.jpg

Reactions: stovelark
I'm thinking 800 is way too hot- ideal STT is 400-600, you're not stressing out the stove, your burn time is maximized and all is well.

I'm thinking 800 is way too hot- ideal STT is 400-600, you're not stressing out the stove, your burn time is maximized and all is well.
What makes you think that?

Every stove and chimney system is different but I don't see how a modern steel tube stove can cruise at 450. That's just not hot enough for complete combustion. My stove doesn't even begin good secondaries until 550-600 ish. It runs best between 650-725.

I find best performance for my Vista is STT between 550-600. 500 is the minimum. No need to run hotter since house heats up fast. I have a tall class A chimney about 23’ so drafts very well.

We are close to 1,700 sq. ft. split level ranch. Once the stove reaches around 700*F, we back it down to 450-550*F and basically keep it there.