Stove or insert recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonebalogne

Feb 21, 2018
oregon
Hello All! My mother recently purchased a home, and eventually we’d like to get a wood stove into the unused fireplace in the living room for ambience and to save some money on her bills (Been lurking on arboristsite long enough to know that CAD and the time investment for wood cutting mitigate this part of it though :drinkingcoffee:.)

The fireplace measures 29.5” tall at the lintel by 24” wide by 36” long. The carpet will be coming out so we can refinish the oak floor underneath, and I’ll probably cut back another foot or so where it meets the fireplace and put matching (or close to matching) tile. The chimney will only be able to fit a 6” insulated liner. Can I get some stove recommendations that will realistically work with our size constraints from you fine folks? Budget for the stove is going to be under $1000, and I can’t imagine the cubic footage will be more than 2.0ft due to size limitations. We also still have to go over code to see what our spacing requirements are, so that will possibly limit us further. :havingarest:. Thanks!

317824-4eae7f2fa6467121492e6e754f17d0f4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Inserts are more expensive than freestanding stoves. In that price range ($1000-1200) there aren't many options. Look at the Englander 13NC, Drolet 1800i and the Century CW2500

Inserts are more expensive than freestanding stoves. In that price range ($1000-1200) there aren't many options. Look at the Englander 13NC, Drolet 1800i and the Century CW2500
+1 on the recommendations. One minor thing I'd add, these inserts require close attention at start up. They can get too hot, fast, until the air is shut down.

I recommend the Drolet 1800i insert. I have been running one this past winter. Its my first winter in this house.
If I am understanding you correctly, your fireplace depth is 24"??

If that's the case you may want to go with the 1400i as that's a bit smaller.
The Drolet 1800i insert dimensions are:
23 1/8" high
28 3/8" wide
26 3/8" deep

My fireplace depth is beyond 26 3/8" deep but it angles in. So currently mine is sticking out about 1.5" too far. This issue will be corrected come spring as I will chisel out some of the masonry in the back to set the stove in properly. Even so, its working fine but I want all my dimensions to be right.
Also, my hearth will have to be extended out as well. But for this season the hearth pads worked fine.
IMG_1798.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the recommendations. One minor thing I'd add, these inserts require close attention at start up. They can get too hot, fast, until the air is shut down.

Think about whether your mother is willing and able to monitor the stove at startup and potentially take appropriate action to deal with a runaway. It's not rocket science, but it's also not for everyone.