Stove pipe dilema

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It needs an attic insulation shield. This should have been installed when the chimney went in.
Here is a better pic of the pipe. It can see that it does have about a foot diameter from wood.

IMG_20211116_152807.jpg

Here is a better pic of the pipe. It can see that it does have about a foot diameter from wood.

View attachment 286056

Not just the rafters, the roof deck is also wood and must be 2" away.

On the insulation, just get it 2" away. Vacuum it out or reach in there and pick it out. You don't need the metal shield for this, that makes it easy though, you just need 2" clearance.

You don't need the metal shield for this, that makes it easy though, you just need 2" clearance.
Yes you do, especially with blown in cellulose. One may be able to clear it out temporarily but any number of things can cause it to sluff down against the pipe again. (people, vermin, earthquake, etc.) In the least, get a 2' strip of sheet metal and make a tube out of it to prevent this from happening. Or build an interior box that maintains this 2" clearance.

Reactions: Highbeam
Not just the rafters, the roof deck is also wood and must be 2" away.

On the insulation, just get it 2" away. Vacuum it out or reach in there and pick it out. You don't need the metal shield for this, that makes it easy though, you just need 2" clearance.
It is required in every manual I have read in situations like this. That is because even if the insulation is sucked out what is keeping it from getting blown back in. Or a mouse making a nest etc?

Reactions: Highbeam
Even with a insulation shield the amount of junk that filters in the smallest nook/cranny can be alarming. It needs the shield.

Fair enough guys. I would agree that a metal shield would be the best way to guarantee the 2” clearance is provided, all mine have one.

Looking at the photos, I’m not so sure that a shield doesn’t exist already though it looks to be at least partially filled with cellulose.