Stove pipe discoloration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snorch

Feb 17, 2018
Southern Maryland
Hi all- first time poster, but I've made great use of the forums while getting to know my wood stove over the past year- so thanks!

My wife noticed that our stovepipe darkens a lot when there's a fire going. It's normally a bright red, but turns a dark shade of burgundy when it gets good and hot.

It's a double-walled pipe. The outside at least is steel, and painted red. I don't own an IR thermometer, but it gets too hot to touch- which I'd assume is to be expected?

It may have always darkened this way and we're just noticing, I can't be sure- the lighting is such that I doubt I'd have noticed it.

Can anyone assure us that this is normal and working as intended, or point us towards a solution if this is, in fact, abnormal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180217_110406.jpg
    20180217_110406.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 482
Might be ok. We have a cranberry red enamel little Jotul that does the same thing. When the stove gets hot the color darkens almost down to wine red. Maybe get a surface stove pipe thermometer and see what the temp reads there.

Might be ok. We have a cranberry red enamel little Jotul that does the same thing. When the stove gets hot the color darkens almost down to wine red. Maybe get a surface stove pipe thermometer and see what the temp reads there.

Thanks. I'd very much like to have a means of checking the temperature. What kind of temperature should one expect to see in a healthy system?

I know that higher temperatures are actually good for preventing buildup & deposits, but is there a limit that you don't want to cross?

I think the photo I included probably makes it look more darkened than it is... The top is more shadowed than the firebox.

Yes, the darkening doesn't look bad, but I don't know much about this fireplace. Contact the dealer and/or the stove mfg and ask if the paint darkening is normal and what expected surface temps would be.

Yes, the darkening doesn't look bad, but I don't know much about this fireplace. Contact the dealer and/or the stove mfg and ask if the paint darkening is normal and what expected surface temps would be.

Thank you, I probably should have hunted this information down earlier.

Should anyone find it interesting, it seems to be a pretty uncommon model- a Sears/Roebuck 155.84175. Made for mobile homes. I am definitely not in a mobile home, haha. The owner built this house as a summer home and it seems like it was furnished with leftovers from other properties.

Pretty neat though. Thanks again.

Might be worth going upstairs/into attic etc. to check temps on the nearest combustibles near the pipe as it passes through the ceiling and or roof. I know I did this many times the first year after I installed it. I slept much better after making these checks!

Using a cheapy ryobi non contact temperature sensor mine will get up over 300F while the cat comes up to temp. Once its up and i turn it down it drops below 200 pretty quickly.

I am measuring just 4-5 inches up the dbl wall pipe.

Thank you, I probably should have hunted this information down earlier.

Should anyone find it interesting, it seems to be a pretty uncommon model- a Sears/Roebuck 155.84175. Made for mobile homes. I am definitely not in a mobile home, haha. The owner built this house as a summer home and it seems like it was furnished with leftovers from other properties.

Pretty neat though. Thanks again.
Someone made it for Sears. Maybe Malm?