Stove pipe elbow question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darinmichael40

Nov 9, 2023
Brown City, MI
Just installed my new stove. I ran the pipe, but would like some input before using. I know the pipe should be straight, but had to go around a truss. Would there be a problem if running this?

16995789093603286664607904776229.jpg

It will be ok as long as the clearances of 18" are honored and the crimp-end for each section is down toward the stove. Each joint should have 3 screws, 120º apart.

There is 16" inches between the mantel and pipe. I plane on using another piece of pipe to construct a shield. Also, I am new to this, what should I watch for upon initial use to make sure all is well? TIA

16" is too close. The stove pipe will get quite hot at times and will need shielding. This is a bit awkward with the elbow and the standoffs required. Fortunately, Imperial makes a shield for elbows. The alternative is to shield the wood there.

Amazon product ASIN B08244QB8K

Using double wall pipe? I think DW pipe only requires 6 inches. I have a similar set up with two 45s in order to move around a beam. Stove pipe/chimney about 20 feet, my draft is good and cleaning is easy. I use a soot eater from bottom up and gets through the bends just fine.

Correct, double-wall stove pipe requires 6" clearance. A long run of 20' should definitely be done in double-wall to reduce heat loss.