Stove pipe leaks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you still had the 8" flue, you could make a trip to Roscommon.

I'm super tempted to make the trip just to let it sit in the garage. ;lol

You might be able to make your money back and then some if you resold.

I wouldn't do it for the money that's too much trouble for a few bucks. I'd do just in case I ever decide to add an addition or install an 8" chimney in this place. Looks to be 160 miles one way, unfortunately I'm booked up for the next couple weekends so picking it up is going to remain a pipe dream. ;lol

Well, alrighty.
Update time. Since it's due to get down around freezing tonight, I thought I'd tackle this again.
Took all the stove pipe down, took out the damper, cleaned all the pipe out, reinstalled everything, and waited an hour after sealing all the joints.
Had a little kindling fire and got the stove up to about 400. Opened the door slowly and added a couple poplar splits and to my surprise.......no smoke rollout!
There was very little buildup on the damper. Outside temp was about 49-50 and a little rainy.
So, temp about the same as when I first had the problem.

Well, alrighty.
Update time. Since it's due to get down around freezing tonight, I thought I'd tackle this again.
Took all the stove pipe down, took out the damper, cleaned all the pipe out, reinstalled everything, and waited an hour after sealing all the joints.
Had a little kindling fire and got the stove up to about 400. Opened the door slowly and added a couple poplar splits and to my surprise.......no smoke rollout!
There was very little buildup on the damper. Outside temp was about 49-50 and a little rainy.
Huh. Hard to believe the open damper can restrict the flow that much. I've got a damper too. No problem now, but I'll keep that solution in mind. It's still baffling as to why going to the 6" didn't seem to increase the draft...

My enthusiasm for dampers has been dampened by this frustrating little episode.;)
Stove has been running great all afternoon since the damper removal.
I'm still confuzzled, but hopeful the problem is resolved. Seems to be.......so far.

Just went out and mic'd a damper in a pipe section. The damper plate is .15 inches think. The four things the rod sticks through are 3/4" thick.That is a chunk of junk for the smoke to get by effectively reducing the cross sectional area of the pipe and adding friction for the flow to overcome. That in a 14' pipe it is fairly easy to see the problem.

I have a damper in the pipe on the stove in the basement with no problems. But it is over 30' feet to the sky from it.

Well, alrighty.
Delighted your problem is solved!

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.