Stove pipe question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fatherof2

Aug 12, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

My pellet stove pipe leaks. When I fire up the stove and do the flashlight test, it leaks from several spots in my pipe. I continue to put sealant all over the seams and connection points, but I just cant get it to seal tight. I don't have very much pipe. Its 4 feet tall and then a 90 degree bend straight through the wall. Will new pipe fix the problem?

Thanks All!

Wrap it with foil tape. That's what I use. Then you can use Stove Bright and spray paint it black.

what type of pipe are you using? I use Ventis systesm from Olympia Chimney. These have gaskets included, which seem to take a bit of time to self adjust (once they heat up). I did get some leaks (ignition smoke) but my CO detector (place right by the pipe) never went off. After that i never saw more ignition smoke coming out of the pipes.

If you are using the systems that requires you to seal every joint when installing, then i do agree with Jackman to use foil tape to seal those joints. Sometimes while joining the pipes the seal gets scraped up leaving some gaps while the pipes are being handled into their final position.

Wrap it with foil tape. That's what I use. Then you can use Stove Bright and spray paint it black.

Or use hi-temp, self-sealing silicone tape. You can usually color match that to the pipe (or there is also a clear). Can get at BBS, Amaz*n or even a lot of local hardware stores will sell it.

Hi Gang,

My pellet stove pipe leaks. When I fire up the stove and do the flashlight test, it leaks from several spots in my pipe. I continue to put sealant all over the seams and connection points, but I just cant get it to seal tight. I don't have very much pipe. Its 4 feet tall and then a 90 degree bend straight through the wall. Will new pipe fix the problem?

Thanks All!

I can see leaking at a connection, but not a seam. It would be good to know what pipe you have installed.

I can see leaking at a connection, but not a seam. It would be good to know what pipe you have installed.

I've never met a 90* that didn't leak at the seams (Selkirk / duravent). Even the 45* pipe that comes sealed, I had that sealant just drop out this summer after two years of use. I just wrap 90's, 45's and connections in silicon tape as a matter of course now to avoid the hassle of chasing leaks.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I've never met a 90* that didn't leak at the seams (Selkirk / duravent). Even the 45* pipe that comes sealed, I had that sealant just drop out this summer after two years of use. I just wrap 90's, 45's and connections in silicon tape as a matter of course now to avoid the hassle of chasing leaks.

Interesting. Have you posted a picture or two of the tape installed? I cant remember if you have nor not. If not, it would be much appreciated if you can post a new thread with how you wrapped the pieces. Perhaps title the thread so it can be found in a search. If you'd care to or have time that is.

I had not thought about the sealant in the elbows having issues. I do see quite a difference in quality between brands on the shelf locally, but I do not know how many brands are out there.

Thanks for the input guys!

Can anyone post a link to the best self sealing tape to use?

The stuff I found has a max heat rating of 260 degrees.

Thanks All!

This is what I use

Attachments

• IMG_1014.PNG
    IMG_1014.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Fatherof2
Up to 500deg

Hence the leaks:)

Reactions: Talegas
I agree.. I used Olympia Chimney's Ventis system.. no need to seal with silicon (only the adapter to the stove) and no leaks in any seam. Great system. I just cleaned it up without having to take it apart, but if i needed ot take it apart i would not have to go through a re-seal process as the internal gaskets are reusable.

Mine was due to the house being too airtight and needing outside air. When I first installed mine, it would leak at the joints, so I went over them with sealant. Then I'd see curliques of smoke coming out of the actual pipe manufacturing seams. So I went over those, along with every rivet. No more leaks. Then after a few hours the stove quit due to vacuum in the house and it pulled a bunch of smoke back into the house anyway. OAK fixed it.