Stove Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shank

May 21, 2022
Ohio
I am helping someone verify their stove/insert was installed correctly (by a dealer).

They had already had 8" double walled FMI pipe for the previous application. They had a Regency I1200 installed and the dealer added a 6" Dalsin Stainless Flexible Liner inside the 8" pipe.

The concern the owner is having is that the double walled pipe is capped at the top now, meaning no air flow through it. Just trying to determine this is safe before the cold season is upon us.

Edit: Should note that 2" (or whatever manufacture specified, can't remember off had, was held on the 8" double wall from combustibles.)

1a.jpg

What is supporting the old 8" chimney? Sounds like they pulled a zero clearance out which is the support for the chimney or did they just place the insert inside the old pre fab?

What is supporting the old 8" chimney? Sounds like they pulled a zero clearance out which is the support for the chimney or did they just place the insert inside the old pre fab?
The FMI insert is still there, Regency Installed inside.

The manuals are conflicting. I just looked at the manual for an FMI 3600. It states not to install an insert unless it has been specifically tested in this fireplace. The Regency manual states it can be installed in any UL 127 listed factory built fireplace. So I guess it comes down to whether or not it was allowed by the manufacturer. Assuming it is, from the information provided so far, it seems they followed the instructions in the Regency manual. Someone will be a long that has more knowledge than me.

Reactions: Shank
The manuals are conflicting. I just looked at the manual for an FMI 3600. It states not to install an insert unless it has been specifically tested in this fireplace. The Regency manual states it can be installed in any UL 127 listed factory built fireplace. So I guess it comes down to whether or not it was allowed by the manufacturer. Assuming it is, from the information provided so far, it seems they followed the instructions in the Regency manual. Someone will be a long that has more knowledge than me.
Yes they chose to follow the manual that allowed them to make the sale and ignored the one that says you can't do it. This isn't allowed by code you need to follow both manuals. It concerns me that the existing chimney is most likely air cooled but they blocked the air movement at the top. Did they also block the vents at the fireplace?

Yes they chose to follow the manual that allowed them to make the sale and ignored the one that says you can't do it. This isn't allowed by code you need to follow both manuals. It concerns me that the existing chimney is most likely air cooled but they blocked the air movement at the top. Did they also block the vents at the fireplace?
Not exactly good news....

Vents are not blocked on the fireplace. That was our concern as well, blocking the top with cap.

Seems FMI covered their behind and punted the liability to the insert manufacturer to determine the fit and Regency just gave a blanket pass to anything UL127 approved. At a minimum I'd inquire to Regency with specific make and model of the fireplace and see if they will confirm. I doubt they would but it doesn't hurt to try and get some documentation.

Seems FMI covered their behind and punted the liability to the insert manufacturer to determine the fit and Regency just gave a blanket pass to anything UL127 approved. At a minimum I'd inquire to Regency with specific make and model of the fireplace and see if they will confirm. I doubt they would but it doesn't hurt to try and get some documentation.
I would agree with this. At any rate, I would still like to determine the pipe situation.

I would agree with this. At any rate, I would still like to determine the pipe situation.
The pipe situation is unsafe. And the only one that could possibly make this a code compliant is fmi regency can't give you permission to disregard the manual fort someone else's listed appliance. Btw regency also covered their ass. They require a listed fireplace as soon as the manual was disregarded and an insert was put in there the listing was void and you now are no longer complying with either manufacturers requirements