Stove Pipe Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hizelks

Nov 21, 2016
Rogers, MN
Looking for some clarification on some things.

I have a wood stove going through a wall into the garage and then up. The wall thimble instructions say that the chimney must extend at least 3" into the living space where the stove pipe connector will be attached to the chimney branch. It looks like I am supposed to attach a 12" class A pipe to the Tee coming into the room. Does that mean will have several inches of stainless pipe coming into the room before it connects to the black stove pipe? Every picture I see online looks like black pipe all the way to the wall.

If clearances for black stove pipe are 18" then how are they allowed to be used all the way (or close to) the wall thimble? Sorry this seems like such a basic question.

Thanks

. Does that mean will have several inches of stainless pipe coming into the room before it connects to the black stove pipe? Every picture I see online looks like black pipe all the way to the wall.
Yes but most have trim pieces that are black

If clearances for black stove pipe are 18" then how are they allowed to be used all the way (or close to) the wall thimble? Sorry this seems like such a basic question.
The system is designed in a way that the pipe is shielded by the class a and the wall passthru to reach your required clearances.

So are you saying that there is an additional trim piece to put over the stainless class A pipe that is sticking through the wall?
I dont use selkirk so I couldn't tell you what they do

i have that same thimble for my set up, the black circle is the trim piece that will go on the inside in the living area. the class A piece will slide through then there is an adapter piece that connects to the class A for you to hook either your single or double wall pipe to.

gonna guess that is what you have?
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...453720741-c-6894.htm?tid=-7647988164489757752

you can use a longer piece than the 12" if needed but the shorter you keep the horizontal run the better you will be.

edyit: Those are the parts that I am using. So do you have a visible piece of class A coming into the room? It would be nice if the black adapter could just connect to the Tee piece.

Thanks for the responses

i have about 2 inches of the class A in the room. if the appearance of the stainless class A is going to bother you i'm fairly certain it can be painted black to match the connector and stove pipe.

i have about 2 inches of the class A in the room. if the appearance of the stainless class A is going to bother you i'm fairly certain it can be painted black to match the connector and stove pipe.
That's correct. The SS piece that's exposed should be painted, unless the look doesn't bother you.

Be sure to make a circle for the thimble rather than a square hole. Make a 14" circle and frame it in. Otherwise the trim will not cover the corner cuts.