Stove Pipe Temp Probe Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I recently installed a DROLET Escape 1500. In doing so I switched from single wall stove pipe to double wall. I bought a single piece of telescoping double wall pipe to go from my stove top to my ceiling. (Of course I had to buy an adapter to connect to the Chimney Pipe Adapter.) When installed, the extended length leaves me with a section of 9 inches above the stove top of single double wall pipe. Then from 9 inches to 38 inches there are two layers of double wall stove pipe. Above 38 inches I am back to one layer of double wall. I ended up extending the telescoping pipe only 9 inches.
I want to install my 2 inch K style temperature probe. It takes a 3/16" hole. I do not want to drill through both sections of the telescoping double wall stove pipe. I can either drill at 9 inches above the stove top, or at 38 inches above the stove top. I am trying to determine which location would give me the more accurate temperature reading. And what temperature difference would I expect to see from the preferred 20 inch above stove top location?

Two reasons for not wanting to drill through both layers of the double wall pipe: 1. Trying to re-align the holes after removing the pipe for cleaning could be an issue. I probably could make some marks that would help find the holes again. 2. I want the telescoping pipe to be able to 'slide' if needed when heat cause expansion. My old stove expanded quite a bit. Drilling a hole and placing a rod (temp probe) in it would lock up the telescoping sections.

FYI: This DROLET Escape 1500 is a totally different animal than the stove I previously had installed. I made up a list of the differences, but the most important one is that when I move the primary air intake control lever, the stove reacts. I can control the fire. I also have beautiful showroom-quality flames. I am liking this stove!!

My advice to new buyers:
Buy a stove from a well known and established stove manufacturer, not from a company that sells outdoor grills, etc. and decided to expand their product line to wood burning stoves. The established manufacture knows what they are doing through years (decades) of experience.

Of the two choices I would go with the 38 inch mark as I suspect that is closer to the recommended location.

That said, I've never had any issue with heat expansion and a need to have the pipes slide with the install in my double wall pipe. As for disassembly, I took the stove pipe apart once, but left the thermometer in place. Nowadays I just run a small brush through the pipes to remove what little fly ash is in there once a year.

I've certainly installed a probe meter in the overlap. You'll be drilling through 4 layers of steel. Alignment on reinstall after cleaning is no problem because you also must align the other screws. You are required to have screws locking the slip joint open, seems weird but there are holes in the outer pipe predrilled for a reason. You also have to hit the bottom screws at the stove where the telescoping section meets the adapter.

The best reason to avoid drilling through 4 layers in the slip is that you are afraid of scratches when you compress the telescoping section and then reexpand it to install again. Well, there are other things that can scratch. Clean your drill holes well to gut the burrs off.

^^^^^^^
What @Highbeam said. Zero issues with realignment of the two holes once you have the screws realigned and fastened.
The 4 layers i do not see, unless misunderstanding something. I drilled through two sheets of steel (outer and inner).

^^^^^^^
What @Highbeam said. Zero issues with realignment of the two holes once you have the screws realigned and fastened.
The 4 layers i do not see, unless misunderstanding something. I drilled through two sheets of steel (outer and inner).
Double wall pipe in the telescoping section is 4 layers

I recently installed a DROLET Escape 1500. In doing so I switched from single wall stove pipe to double wall. I bought a single piece of telescoping double wall pipe to go from my stove top to my ceiling. (Of course I had to buy an adapter to connect to the Chimney Pipe Adapter.) When installed, the extended length leaves me with a section of 9 inches above the stove top of single double wall pipe. Then from 9 inches to 38 inches there are two layers of double wall stove pipe. Above 38 inches I am back to one layer of double wall. I ended up extending the telescoping pipe only 9 inches.
I want to install my 2 inch K style temperature probe. It takes a 3/16" hole. I do not want to drill through both sections of the telescoping double wall stove pipe. I can either drill at 9 inches above the stove top, or at 38 inches above the stove top. I am trying to determine which location would give me the more accurate temperature reading. And what temperature difference would I expect to see from the preferred 20 inch above stove top location?

Two reasons for not wanting to drill through both layers of the double wall pipe: 1. Trying to re-align the holes after removing the pipe for cleaning could be an issue. I probably could make some marks that would help find the holes again. 2. I want the telescoping pipe to be able to 'slide' if needed when heat cause expansion. My old stove expanded quite a bit. Drilling a hole and placing a rod (temp probe) in it would lock up the telescoping sections.

FYI: This DROLET Escape 1500 is a totally different animal than the stove I previously had installed. I made up a list of the differences, but the most important one is that when I move the primary air intake control lever, the stove reacts. I can control the fire. I also have beautiful showroom-quality flames. I am liking this stove!!

My advice to new buyers:
Buy a stove from a well known and established stove manufacturer, not from a company that sells outdoor grills, etc. and decided to expand their product line to wood burning stoves. The established manufacture knows what they are doing through years (decades) of experience.
Why pull the pipe to clean when you can just pull the baffle

Double wall pipe in the telescoping section is 4 layers
Really. When I drilled through my pipe back in 2008 i was certain the bit only went through two sheets of metal, but that was 2008. When i drilled through my second pipe (BK) couple of years ago i am pretty sure it was the same thing, i felt resistance on the bit only twice. I am pretty sure in both cases the pipe is double wall. That’s what my invoice says and it is telescopic, plus the code called for double pipe.

Both layers of the double wall overlap. Inner two and outer two. So you have four in the overlap area where the probe should go.

Oh and since this is a wired probe, be sure to put it in the back but not where the seams of the pipes are.

^^^^^^^
It is possible that you only drilled through two layers. If your telescoping double wall pipe is extended enough so that your hole location in not in the overlap, you would only encounter a single section of double wall. With my set up the 20 inch mark is in the overlap section; therefore I will need to drill through two sections of double wall or 4 layers.

Reactions: Highbeam
Why pull the pipe to clean when you can just pull the baffle
You are right. With the old single layer stove pipe, I was leaving it in place and removing the baffle. Then cleaning top down from the roof. I probably would end up doing that again anyway. I have a single story ranch, so getting on the roof is easy. And with the new stove, I took off two feet of chimney pipe. I did not want to overdraft and the stove has been running great with out the extra two feet.

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I appreciate it. Anybody know what the temperature difference would be at 9 inches above the stove top vs. 20 inches?