Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtn man

Jan 14, 2012
Western North Carolina
Does anybody have any suggests on where to get cheap double wall telescopic pipe for inside and double wall stainless for through the roof for exterior? Thanks ahead for any info.

It is triple wall for the exterior from the ceiling transition on up. Big box stores or on line, none of it cheap. Use all the same maker pipe- stove top all the way up. No sense trying to cheap out, just cost more down the road when you have to replace it. Proper chimney goes a long way in getting the most from your stove investment as well as dry wood.

Probably the least expensive is at lowes. But these chimneys are "systems" and you can't mix and match, make sure you get all you need from the same company. We ordered Dura Vent on line from Northern Tool, was a little less that my local shop, but more importantly, they had it in stock, my dealer didn't. (Jan/Feb instals can be that way...)

Lowes or Menards for Silkirk.

Tractor supply carries M&G (Simpson), but I found http://www.dynamitebuys.com/ to be cheaper.

Each of these I found to be cheaper than all of my local HVAC and stove shop suppliers.

You can also find it used sometimes. I bought mine used... took it off the lady's house. I see ads for it all the time if you're looking in a large enough area. Big trick is learning what the different brands look like, so you can know what it's worth, and how easy it will be to get additional parts. You might find all the pipe, but no thimbles or elbows.

It is triple wall for the exterior from the ceiling transition on up.

Most brands are double-walled insulated pipe. Stainless inside/outside, packed with insulation. Flue temps of well over 1000F and the outside surface is warm to the touch.

Double-wall for inside the house is less common to find used... but I've seen a bit of it lately (as it becomes more common... and people will always be uninstalling wood stoves when they choose not to burn). Single wall can work fine if you've got the clearances (or can reduce clearances with heat shields)

Status
Not open for further replies.