Stove recommendation for converted barn space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dec 9, 2021
New Hampshire
I’m in the market for a new stove. Through browsing the forums it’s become clear to me that there is no one-size-fits-all or “best” stove out there. I currently have no affinity towards a particular brand, but my preference is wood burning and cast iron. I would like to budget for <$3000.

I’ll briefly describe the space I’m looking to heat. I live in southern New Hampshire. It is a recently purchased barn that I am converting to a home. It consists of two floors, each 1900 sqft. I’m currently living on one side of the home, about 1/3 of the total area of the barn, which is heated by oil. The rest of the barn is currently an open floor plan with minimal insulation. The stove would be installed on the first floor of the unfinished barn space. My intent is to convert this barn space into living area over the next 3-5 years, but in the meantime, I would like to generate some heat in the winter months so that I can used my workshop and provide some supplemental heat to the existing living space, which is largely on the second floor.

I believe I will be needing a large or extra-large stove. Beyond that, I’m open to suggestions from the community in terms of brand and models. Thank you.

Cast iron won't cut it, you want a large steel box for quick heat ups 8" flue. Most cast iron stove of today are double jacket, so inner steel box thats wrapped with cast iron for a convective jacket vs a steel box that is radiant.

Reactions: cron
The amount of time it takes to heat up and send heat out, theres not many 3cu ft + stoves out there in cast either, you want to look at a lopi liberty, pe t6, drolet ht3000

Reactions: cron and clancey
The problem is there just aren't cast iron stoves on the market now that are big enough to do the job. My recommendation is for the time being find a big old pre EPA stove that will crank out BTUs like crazy and hold up to the abuse of trying to heat a barn. Once you get it finished then consider what stove will work

Reactions: cron
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm leaning more towards a steel stove given the price for large volume models.

Right now my top two considerations, based on stove dealers near me, is the Pacific Energy Summit and the Lopi Liberty.

Any folks have first hand experience with these stoves?