Stove recommendations, BK or other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
I’m in the process of having a 2700 sq foot home being built. 2400 main floor, 300 bonus room. Stove will be on a corner hearth pad in the main room with a vertical flue pipe exiting through the roof. I had a BK princess in the basement of a 70 year old house (very poorly insulated) and was pleased with the burn times but no accurate judgment of how the heat output would be compared to a brand new highly efficient insulated home. I live in northern Idaho with long, cold winters and the stove will be the primary heat source but the home will also have a heat pump. I’m torn between another BK or something else since the stove will be the “center piece” of the main room and I enjoy the ambience of the flames on a cold day, so would like a compromise between the efficiency of a BK and the ambience of the flames. I am considering Kuma since they are crafted just down the road from me but would like some other suggestions too. My main issue with the BK king 40 is the price tag and not to mention the price of repairs and replacement parts. My experience with the princess is that you only get those super long burn times when the stove is left on a lower setting. Any help would be appreciated

I’m in the process of having a 2700 sq foot home being built. 2400 main floor, 300 bonus room. Stove will be on a corner hearth pad in the main room with a vertical flue pipe exiting through the roof. I had a BK princess in the basement of a 70 year old house (very poorly insulated) and was pleased with the burn times but no accurate judgment of how the heat output would be compared to a brand new highly efficient insulated home. I live in northern Idaho with long, cold winters and the stove will be the primary heat source but the home will also have a heat pump. I’m torn between another BK or something else since the stove will be the “center piece” of the main room and I enjoy the ambience of the flames on a cold day, so would like a compromise between the efficiency of a BK and the ambience of the flames. I am considering Kuma since they are crafted just down the road from me but would like some other suggestions too. My main issue with the BK king 40 is the price tag and not to mention the price of repairs and replacement parts. My experience with the princess is that you only get those super long burn times when the stove is left on a lower setting. Any help would be appreciated
There are other stoves that match the efficiency of blaze kings. In a low btu application though nothing will keep up with their long burn time. It really depends on your needs

Reactions: Highbeam
In a big place with a desire for a good fire view maybe consider a big hybrid from Regency. Otherwise, there are non-cats that will heat well and provide a good light show.

Indeed, flames require higher output settings on the BK, which may be too much in a highly insulated home.

Can you talk to your heat pump vendor? They should have done a BTU requirement calculation. Getting that number may give some direction of the output you are looking for with your stove.

Kuma only makes smaller stoves now which can’t really compare to a king40. The efficient kuma at its 12 hour burn setting should make just as many flames as a similar size BK at its 12 hour burn setting. The only time you get a lack of flame show on the Bk is when you utilize the awesome low output capabilities.

Being all warm and cozy next to a big pile of throbbing red coals is pretty great too. Cat stoves make plenty of fire if you turn them up. The lack of flame show is not an actual problem that I’ve run into.

Last edited:
But the last remark depends on what one (subjectively) wants...

We lit our King yesterday! We had a "freeze warning". There was quite the flame show and I've learned from Poindexter of the benefits of a wife being too warm! Man you gotta love 5 year old C/S/S tamarack!

We've been burning for the past few days too. There was no worry about overheating the house with 4-5 split loads.

maybe this weekend, been to warm here is SE Michigan