Stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodacreeksam

Nov 19, 2020
Oregon
I have gleaned a lot of good info off this forum so thanks in advance!
I have been shopping for an efficient stove to be the primary source for a one level, un-insulated 1000 sq ft house in western Oregon where avg. Winter high temps are in the mid-40’s and lows around freezing. Shoulder seasons I can get Often get by with A fire in the morning and a small space heater at night. Currently have an old “smoke dragon” that won’t carry a fire very long unless you just about ignite the house, plus it’s burns dirty as

The trickY part is the stove really dominates the living room and I really don’t want to look at a black box. Are there any unique looking , well made , efficient stoves out there that won’t break the bank?

I’m fine with a non current EPA stove anything after the mid 90’s is fine

thank you all again!

sammy

Last edited:
Take a look a the Jotul F602CB v2 and the Vermont Castings Aspen C3.

If you want one fire a day and a low price point, lots of people liked the 30-NC. The 32-NC is the new version of that.

Usually runs around $1000 at big box stores in heating season, and then goes on sale after.

Thanks. I’ve heard VC is not what it used to be (what is? Right?) Jotuls are kind of spendy but will investigate further. After a year on Craigslist I am about ready to just buy new. Had a Lopi in my old house but was not impressed by the build quality and cleaning the glass was constant!

The Morso 2b Standard and 1410 squirrel stoves look great all year and should heat your home. The 1410 takes really short wood, so that is a downside.

Thanks. I’ve heard VC is not what it used to be (what is? Right?) Jotuls are kind of spendy but will investigate further. After a year on Craigslist I am about ready to just buy new. Had a Lopi in my old house but was not impressed by the build quality and cleaning the glass was constant!
VC is under new ownership and this particular model is not complex like the larger VC stoves. The earlier versions of the Aspen were not great stoves as heaters, though the castings were nice. Both stoves are new for 2020. Reports so far are good for each. The engineer for the Aspen overhaul is here on Hearth.com. If you want more information on the C3 ask for @Corie.
In previous years there were many more choices, but not all of these models have made it to the 2020 market yet. And you have placed a challenge by cutting out basic box stoves. This makes inexpensive and small a real challenge, but both the Aspen and the Jotul come in under $1500.

Reactions: Sodacreeksam