Stove safety - keeping your eyes safe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out nitrogen rich environment hazards, that is one thing that your body has NO warning or defense against! Scary and interesting at the same time
Hah!
Tons of examples of things that kill or harm you with chronic exposure that don't initially show side effects. Some show up sooner than others. Marie Curie, her husband, and her beloved radium comes to mind. Along with the "radium girls". Not to mention smoking, vaping (heavy metals from heating element and who knows what else), riding motorcycles w/out helmets, etc. The youtube channel Absolute History reveals that human beings are relatively dumb when it comes down to embracing practices that are harmful and/or deadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrewboy
I need a drink after reading this, cant wait for Easter... dam lent.

View attachment 276097
The do make some sound, but disappear within a second.

These are not embers flying out (and the stove is firmly in coaling stage, no flame before opening the door, but quite some blazing hot material inside).

Have any of you seen similar things?
Finally, after all these years on Hearth.com someone asked the question. What is actually happening? Scares the Bejesus outa me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I have not begun my stove burning adventure but I tell you I am a worry wort and truly will get glasses (glass ones) just in case and now I will join you with a beverage and I have a feeling when I light my stove after I learn I might have a double..Thanks for the heads up on safety..clancey

IR is not really that dangerous. It does not penetrate through your eyeballs or any other tissue for that matter it just heats the surface. If it is too intense you will feel the burning and blink or move away.

Source: am physicist
So I decided to look this up again. From https://ehs.lbl.gov/resource/docume...izing-radiation/light-and-infrared-radiation/

Near‐Infrared Exposure and Cataracts
The most common eye disease associated with near-infrared radiation is cataracts. Prolonged exposure to IR radiation causes a gradual but irreversible opacity of the lens. Other forms of damage to the eye from IR exposure include scotoma, which is a loss of vision due to the damage to the retina. Even low-level IR absorption can cause symptoms such as redness of the eye, swelling, or hemorrhaging.

Cataracts caused by near‐infrared radiation have been noted historically in glassblowers and furnace workers. Radiation between 800 and 1,200 nm is most likely responsible for temperature increases in the lens itself because of its spectral‐absorption characteristics. Visible wavelengths may also contribute to the problem, since the heat absorbed by the iris could result in heat transfer to the lens.

Acute Skin, Cornea, and Iris Injury
IR radiation below 3,000 nm will penetrate into different depths of the cornea to varying degrees, depending on the specific wavelength. The iris can absorb energy only at wavelengths below approximately 1,300 nm.

IR thermal injury may have significant biological effects on the human skin. The IR-A rays induce free radicals in the dermis and diminish the skin’s antioxidant capacity, the main cause of premature skin aging.

Both the skin and the cornea are opaque to wavelengths >1,400 nm. Exposure to IR radiation in this region causes injury through thermal mechanisms, with absorbed radiation being converted to heat.
BTW, you know that being a physicist doesn't, in itself, make one an authority on the effects of various forms of energy on living organisms, right?

I think I will have a triple beverage now..with triple lens glass glasses tinted too with a air blower as well. Ah my new adventure. But seriously thanks for the heads up...clancey..

Reactions: gthomas785
@DeadTreeBurner I think that the exposure to our sun is more dangerous then the acute exposure to loading a woodstove or a open fireplace, and it is just my opinion that its plain silly to imply that looking at a fire burning in a woodstove or open fireplace would cause damage to, posting research from an online source has little merit since the information is more or less cherry picked to fit the posts mentioned above, whats not posted is the distance to, exposure time, control elements, and rate of which the source is burning, along with test subjects, past medical history and past family genetic history. I know this in this day and age taking the tidbit of info seems helpful when you have an idea that your trying to transpose onto paper, we see it all the time now the internet google scientists, and our wonderful media when they want to sensationalize a story, but in reality this is not how to dispense scientific / health information.
I say it like this because just last week a new member here was posting that they thought the wood they were burning came from a tree that was exposed to a common pesticide (I think it was permethrin or something) anyway never the less the person thought they were smelling chemicals coming from inside there firebox and was in the process of replacing all there firebricks and scrubbing / scaping the inside of there firebox, to each there own on that, but it would have been irresponsible for this forum to imply that this was a real issue or feed into this persons statements without full information.

So I decided to look this up again. From https://ehs.lbl.gov/resource/docume...izing-radiation/light-and-infrared-radiation/

Near‐Infrared Exposure and Cataracts
The most common eye disease associated with near-infrared radiation is cataracts. Prolonged exposure to IR radiation causes a gradual but irreversible opacity of the lens. Other forms of damage to the eye from IR exposure include scotoma, which is a loss of vision due to the damage to the retina. Even low-level IR absorption can cause symptoms such as redness of the eye, swelling, or hemorrhaging.

Cataracts caused by near‐infrared radiation have been noted historically in glassblowers and furnace workers. Radiation between 800 and 1,200 nm is most likely responsible for temperature increases in the lens itself because of its spectral‐absorption characteristics. Visible wavelengths may also contribute to the problem, since the heat absorbed by the iris could result in heat transfer to the lens.

Acute Skin, Cornea, and Iris Injury
IR radiation below 3,000 nm will penetrate into different depths of the cornea to varying degrees, depending on the specific wavelength. The iris can absorb energy only at wavelengths below approximately 1,300 nm.

IR thermal injury may have significant biological effects on the human skin. The IR-A rays induce free radicals in the dermis and diminish the skin’s antioxidant capacity, the main cause of premature skin aging.

Both the skin and the cornea are opaque to wavelengths >1,400 nm. Exposure to IR radiation in this region causes injury through thermal mechanisms, with absorbed radiation being converted to heat.
BTW, you know that being a physicist doesn't, in itself, make one an authority on the effects of various forms of energy on living organisms, right?
Okay listen I wasn't trying to say IR can't hurt you. You know when your skin gets warm from standing next to a fire? Or when your eyes start to dry out? Yeah, of course of you stay there it will burn you to a crisp. Maybe I wasn't clear but the reason it's less dangerous is because you can feel it's effects directly. That's where it's different from UV, because with UV the damage is already done and you may not know it. That's what I was trying to say. You feel your eyes getting dried out and you move away. That is not enough time to do any damage whatsoever because your blood vessels will disperse the heat.

Glass blowers are in a different category because they could be staring at a furnace for hours on end. I can see where they would be at some higher level of risk. I thought we were talking about reloading a stove for 1-2 mins tops. Sorry for not properly qualifying my statements.

Also, when they say "prolonged" exposure. Prolonged means continuous, not repeated.

And since you asked, being a physicist actually does make me an authority on the effects of "energy" on all kinds of objects, living or not ;)

The OP's thoughts on eye safety transported me in the ' way-back' machine to the mid 70's.

The wife, who wore glasses, use to crank of that Franklin stove so hot my eves would water, get irritated so I'd close them for relief and miss SNL...

...this was before out VCR, so yes I did wear sunglasses for relief.

Now that I wear glasses I totally forgot all about that sensation.

I've always been more worried about my (my family's) lungs than my eyes. I try to limit the times I open the stove and try to reload when its warm and clean out when its cold. Fewer stove openings means less smoke in your house/lungs and less eye exposure if that concerns you. Moderation is almost always good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.