Stove shut down overnight ( second time)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
Woke up this morning to a chilly house. Checked the stove and the burn pot was overflowing with pellets. The stove was cold to the touch so it was off for hours. Luckily my forced air kicked on at 60. This is the second time this has happened. I cleaned out the pellets and the stove fired rite up. What would cause it to go out overnite? It's set on a thermostat and still has the factory settings. I believe i was burning Pennington pellets. Phil

Check to see if pellets are bridgeing in hopper, usually the cause. Pellets either are to long or are not sliding down hopper.

the pony boy said:
Woke up this morning to a chilly house. Checked the stove and the burn pot was overflowing with pellets. The stove was cold to the touch so it was off for hours. Luckily my forced air kicked on at 60. This is the second time this has happened. I cleaned out the pellets and the stove fired rite up. What would cause it to go out overnite? It's set on a thermostat and still has the factory settings. I believe i was burning Pennington pellets. Phil

Believe this or not, you have an air flow problem.

There is a huge list of causes and it may actually be a combination of things.

1. Ash in the plumbing (dirty stove).
2. Mis-adjusted draft.
3. Burn pot and liner not properly seated.
4. Bad gaskets.
5. Mis-adjusted door latches.
6. Partially blocked air intake.
7. Partially blocked vent termination.
8. Excessive vent length for the vent size.
9. High ash pellets.
10 Failing combustion blower.
11. Failing controller.
12. Air leaks that provide an air path around instead of through the burn pot and pellet pile.
13. Running the fuel level in the hopper below the recommended levels.

Happy hunting.

The stove has only seen about ten bags of pellets and I have cleaned it twice already. My vent is about 6' of 3" with a tee and 2 45's that connect to about 10' of 8" pipe. I do have a problem with the door gasket. There's a 1" gap where the gasket doesn't meet. I'm waiting for a warranty part for that but I did fill the gap with sone high temp silicone for now. There might also be another problem with the door. I noticed when I opened it the ash looks like it's getting a little further past it than it should. I'm hoping the new one resolves that issue as well. I also have to see if the stove runs any better if I change some settings the pellets I have don't seem to be that great and aren't producing the heat I thought they would. Phil

I guessing you have an englander, if the hopper is the same as mine you may have up to a half hopper still full and the pellets stop sliding down. When you got up was there an error message showing. If this the problem there are a number of threads with ways to correct the issue.

the pony boy said:
The stove has only seen about ten bags of pellets and I have cleaned it twice already. My vent is about 6' of 3" with a tee and 2 45's that connect to about 10' of 8" pipe. I do have a problem with the door gasket. There's a 1" gap where the gasket doesn't meet. I'm waiting for a warranty part for that but I did fill the gap with sone high temp silicone for now. There might also be another problem with the door. I noticed when I opened it the ash looks like it's getting a little further past it than it should. I'm hoping the new one resolves that issue as well. I also have to see if the stove runs any better if I change some settings the pellets I have don't seem to be that great and aren't producing the heat I thought they would. Phil

Were these pellets unburned, burned and unburned, or a clump of burned.

You never know what you are getting with that brand you said you are burning.

You have and EVL of 13 or 14 on the 3" portion (assuming it is all vertical) of that venting before the additional 5 from the 8" pipe. So the venting should be 4" from the stove. But just to make certain of things please put the stove model in your thread title so Mike Holton from England Stove Works stands a chance of noticing this thread.

TLHinCanada said:
I guessing you have an englander, if the hopper is the same as mine you may have up to a half hopper still full and the pellets stop sliding down. When you got up was there an error message showing. If this the problem there are a number of threads with ways to correct the issue.

It is indeed an England Stove Works stove it is a 25-PAH model, it has a 120 pound hopper and is a top feeder.

Stove model should be in my sig. Mike is the one who suggested to replace the door gasket. Is the evl borderline or way off? I didn't know better when I ordered the pellets so I'm stuck with them. I also have some American wood fibers that seemed to burn better so i was saving them. when I get home later I will go over the stove and gaskets and clean it again so I can monitor it this weekend. It's just starting to get cold up here so it's just starting to do some real work. Phil

the pony boy said:
Stove model should be in my sig. Mike is the one who suggested to replace the door gasket. Is the evl borderline or way off? I didn't know better when I ordered the pellets so I'm stuck with them. I also have some American wood fibers that seemed to burn better so i was saving them. when I get home later I will go over the stove and gaskets and clean it again so I can monitor it this weekend. It's just starting to get cold up here so it's just starting to do some real work. Phil

Mike doesn't read every post and the search function doesn't look at the inserted signature information.

Your evl is either 18 or 19 and makes it over limit for 3" pipe on most stoves. Depends upon what the stove has in it for combustion air movement.

Natures heat are a terrible pellet (at least my experience) Some have luck with them most do not.

The ones i had were very long. Very well could be bridging.

If they are Pennington Natures Heat and not the Yellow 100% Oak brand, that could be part of the problem. Couple that onto the stoves lowest setting and it may be burning the fire out when the stat loses the call for heat. Stove will go from chosen setting to low setting (maintenance) and if there are to few pellets dropping, the flame may burn out and the stove will feed pellets until it gets cool enough to shut down. Have you adjusted the bottom 3 buttons any?

No I have not adjusted the bottom three settings. Not sure of the exact pellet type will check when I get home. The stove wasn't on the lowest setting. It was on 3 I believe my stove has the on off feature so it doesnt go into the lowest setting after the call for heat is met.

Pony boy where are you in Putnam?

I ran into this problem when I got home around 0700, it turns out it was getting to much air and when the tstat shut off the pellets burned out. The burn pot filled to the brim with pellets. After a re start everything was back to normal. Some of this I blame on the stove chow, they are very hard to get started, and when my t stat shuts off the flame disappears completely with just a bed of embers in the pot.

the pony boy said:
any sugestions on what if any changes to make on the bottom settings? There at 1-4-1

Does your stove have a high/low mode that shunts to low when the t-stat stops calling for heat?

Checkthisout said:
the pony boy said:
any sugestions on what if any changes to make on the bottom settings? There at 1-4-1

Does your stove have a high/low mode that shunts to low when the t-stat stops calling for heat?

it has both hi/low ans on/off.

The fact that the burn pot was full is a ????

Is this an auto lite stove ??

If not then what likely happened is that the stove dropped down on the very low setting, the fire burned very low, then possibly there was a couple auger cycles that did not deliver much due to possible hanging pellets Or ??

Once the fire died out then the incoming pellets could not catch fire and the pot filled up and then the low temp switch finally shut things off.

IMHO the low setting on the stat is too low and the fire is not adequately fueled to keep a bed of coals going.

Try adjusting the feed trim to give just a bit more fuel at each auger cycle, or adjust the timer to allow a slightly shorter time between cycles. Basically a tad bigger fire.

Good luck

Snowy

the pony boy said:
Checkthisout said:
the pony boy said:

it has both hi/low ans on/off.

If it's set to go into low mode it's probably just burning itself out due to the air setting being too high.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about your stove to know what adjustments it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.