Stove/sweep repair certification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flammam

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2007
Western, Ma.
I have done some looking around Google and can't really find an answer. So I will present my question here on this forum.
With the increasing prices of non renewable fuel I see a situation where more and more people will be moving to heating with wood/pellets/corn. This will create more of a demand for servicing and repair/ mainenance of these appliances. Being rather dissatisfied with my current career I am considering moving into the stove repair/ service profession.
I have installed and repaired a few stoves for friends and famiy and have gotten more than one" Its cold out and my stove isn't working" call. I am aware that starting up any busisness is very time and effort intensive and am willing to put the effort in to be successful. What I can't find is any type of organization that certifies a repair person to work on pellet or wood appliances. Is this only done through the manufactures or is there a national or regional organization that provides training??

TIA

John

Try the NFI National Fireplace Institute web site

Training through manufactures is usually the best for learning, the NFI is more like a badge showing you are serious and have a certification. The NFI is not easy to get by any means but there is no real training involved, just reading and understanding a 200+ page binder and taking a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.