Stove Temp Readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeinRI

Jan 11, 2013
West Greenwich RI
I purchased a HF infared themometer and I'm seeing some high 500-610 temps dead center above the glass. Any one else have something to comapre this to, Stove is cranking pretty good as I turned it down a bit to much today on room temp. I have it set on fan high, feed rate 4 ,room temp 78. She has about 15 lbs of Fireside Ultra's left them I will load it with Green Team Platnuims

I just ordered a Rosewill infrared thermometer, i'll be sure to post here what i'm reading. Got it to find the leaks in the house.

This is the only gauge i worry about. Im kepping the house a little warmer than usual due to power outages being reported. The ol P61 finally got a chance to stretch its legs a little bit and didnt disappoint.

C8A58A1E-1DFA-4834-B402-A37FED5900E5-9291-000006643699F729.jpg

Reactions: slvrblkk
Have my stove on stove temp feed rate 4 fan on low temp at 65 glass is at 413 degrees and out of the blower is 228 and its 18 out side and house is at 72 using gap's and burning a bag in 22 hours

You really can't use an infrared thermometer, as the difference in emissivity of what you are pointing it at effects the reading. Use a thermocouple in the hot air output stream.

I believe the air temp should be read? I use a k type thermocouple to measure air output temps...

Measuring the steel temp will vary greatly. IMO

You really can't use an infrared thermometer, as the difference in emissivity of what you are pointing it at effects the reading. Use a thermocouple in the hot air output stream.

True... different materials radiate heat differently. To an IR gun, a cast iron pan of boiling water (212F) may read something like 235F, while an aluminum one may read 185F.

You can still use it: pick one spot on the stove (say, near the heat exchanger/convection discharge) and use that reading for comparing pellets/settings/etc. The number won't be perfectly accurate, but the same material will always be off by the same %. The instructions for my cheapo one from Lowe's has a conversion table for the emissivity of common materials, but I don't bother.

Keep the gun out of the airstream, you don't want to heat the IR sensor itself.

You can still use an IR thermometer, if you always point it at the same spot, but you can't compare readings with another forum member, unless they have the same stove and point it at the same spot. So for forum discussions of what your stove temperature is, reading the heated air temp is a better comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.