Stove top temp seems too low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wood4heat

May 1, 2007
I have a Quadra fire 4300 stove this is my first season with stove basement install with 4 ft of single wall pipe with one elbow connecting to about 21 ft of class A chimney straight up. My pipe thermometer is reading approximately 400 degrees and stove temp about 400-420 degrees with what seems like a pretty strong fire. (Refer to attached pics). I think my IR gun is pretty close to being accurate. I read a lot on here about 600+ degree stove top temps on this forum and wondering shouldn’t I be getting similar readings?? Also the blower was on medium when temp measured. I tried with blower off but temps weren’t much different. Thanks in advance for any advice

9579A117-A49B-47E4-92B1-861C4C6DA2AD.jpeg 4BBC3829-8E38-4E18-9C5A-B6FCBC71C723.jpeg

That looks like a medium-sized fire, later in the burn, heading into the coaling stage. Fill the firebox up with a bit more fuel the next time, up to the top of the firebrick. Close down the air as soon as possible without completely extinguishing the flame.

It could be that draft is strong and pulling a lot of heat up the flue. What temp are you reading on the stovepipe about 18" above the stove?

Or it could be that the wood is not fully seasoned and heat is being wasted boiling off excess moisture.

The first question is always what’s the MC of your wood and what wood are you burning?

That load was a mix of ash and walnut measured 20-22% on a fresh split. I have some really dry oak I’m saving for later this week when it gets extremely cold I’ll fill fire box with it and recheck. I didn’t think about it but this wood may not be the hottest burning. Thanks again

Also I’m reading approximately 400 degrees 18” up on stove pipe. Maybe on to something with excessive draft because it is very easy to get flue pipe thermometer near the “too hot” zone which is around 450-475 degrees. In fact flue pipe thermometer seems to hang out around 300-500 degrees almost anytime I have good flames.