Stovepipe Routing Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkb1450

Jun 23, 2014
NC
Hi all, thanks as always for the wealth of woodburning information n this site! I have a Jotul F3CB that I bought for my rental house, but I'm getting ready to install it in my (for now uninsulated) pole barn as I modify it to be more of a cabin. Footprint is 14x24, and the area I will be installing it in will have a main floor where the stove will be located, and then a loft overtop of that. My question is what would be the best way to route the stovepipe, and what type to use? I'm thinking of using insulated pipe and running it up through the loft floor before sending it out through the gable end of the building. Does this pose any hazards vs. just running it straight up and through a boot in the metal roofing? Thoughts, opinions, criticisms? This will be my first time designing stove ventilation from scratch, so any advice is much appreciated.

Metal roofs present a bit more challenge for the chimney flashing but for sure I'd recommend going straight up through the roof with the chimney if possible. Excel makes a good metal roof flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.