Stoves that will burn grass pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading a research report done by Cornell University a couple of years ago saying there are not many stoves that will burn grass pellets. Does anyone have experience with burning grass pellets in some of the newest stoves?

Thanks, all

I've never even seen grass pellets for sale anywhere. There are several multifuel stoves coming out now that should be able to handle them thought. I think the Quad Mt. Vernon AE can.

I dont understand what you website is all about
It seems to showcase just a few pellet stoves

I think Cornell did the most in testing stoves.

Reap Canada also has a lot of research, but more on the grass growing and education side.

you might also try Vermont Argrifuels http://www.vtagrifuels.com/?page_id=31

I seem to recall a report somewhere (maybe Reap Canada) about the commercial viability of grass pellets. They were looking at green houses and their consumption.

I don't know if the general population is ready for high ash fuels (many seem to struggle with premium grade wood pellets!), but I would like to see more options (maybe a grass/wood hybrid?).

Let us know what you find out!

Cheers

I don't think you will find a lot of stoves specifically designed for "grass pellets". Try looking at the corn burner/multi fuels. That's the most likely place to find anything. Right now, switch grass as a fuel is under a lot of experimentation. It's a tall growing prairie grass that will grow over 8 feet a year. I know several of the midwest Ag Universities are working on their use. I don't think until the pellets are out of the experimental stages will anything be commercially available. There's a little more discussion on Iburncorn.com that deals with the alternate fuels.

Oh great! First ethanol drives grain prices up and now your telling me that they are going to start making pellets out of grass?!? Pretty soon I'm going to have to teach the horses to drink gas and eat trees! :roll: :lol:

Unless they can figure out a way to celluosic ethanol out of grass, I'm not sure what would drive pricing of pelletized grass. I'll post back when I find more out about the topic. These are all good leads. Thanks again.

Probably pie in the sky, but had a chance of happening. We were told back in 1994 that by 2000 we'd be burning all sorts of biomass in our Pellet Stoves - I even tried peanut hull pellets in my VC pellet stove (a Harman, inside it). Well, the report is that they worked well - in the harman. Not in most of the other stoves.

But the pellet stove I have (Magnum) claims to be able to burn most biomass pellets. I have only tried corn (which did well) and wood, but is makes sense that other fairly low (say 2% or less) fuels might burn in there.....with perhaps a little more poking. Maybe I'll see if I can procure some others (cherry pits,. etc) and burn them this year.

Right now I think it is much easier to get wood waste than it is for folks to harvest grass.

Webmaster said:
Probably pie in the sky, but had a chance of happening. We were told back in 1994 that by 2000 we'd be burning all sorts of biomass in our Pellet Stoves - I even tried peanut hull pellets in my VC pellet stove (a Harman, inside it). Well, the report is that they worked well - in the harman. Not in most of the other stoves.

But the pellet stove I have (Magnum) claims to be able to burn most biomass pellets. I have only tried corn (which did well) and wood, but is makes sense that other fairly low (say 2% or less) fuels might burn in there.....with perhaps a little more poking. Maybe I'll see if I can procure some others (cherry pits,. etc) and burn them this year.

Right now I think it is much easier to get wood waste than it is for folks to harvest grass.

Does the 2% refer to the ash content of the fuel?

Fast4wood said:
Webmaster said:

Old thread but to answer your question the 2% is likely the ash content the stove can tolerate and not drive the owner batty with cleaning.

No experience here but the study I read said htat the Harman P61 out perfiormed the other stoves burning grass pellets. Might have been the same study, I don't recall which university it was. I just remember the stove because that's the next stove I will be buying.

Fast4wood said:

Wow, You dug up a really old thread.

Couple things to add for you, A few members burned some timothy grass that DJ whipped up for us. Check this!

Thread

There are different grasses out there, But switchgrass and timothy are the most popular. Ash content will vary with species and how the grass is harvested. DJ can give you some first hand info

Pardon my ignorance about burning other fuels, but isn't it just a matter of changing the fuel feed rate? The auger ckt on my control board has adjustable resistors for changing the feed rate. I guess they make them not easily accessible so that people don't over feed and over fire with wood.

turbotech said:
Pardon my ignorance about burning other fuels, but isn't it just a matter of changing the fuel feed rate? The auger ckt on my control board has adjustable resistors for changing the feed rate. I guess they make them not easily accessible so that people don't over feed and over fire with wood.
No, besides the feed rate there is the need for the proper amount of air and for the stoves parts including the venting to be able to withstand any of the corrosive burn byproducts.

Some fuels also need consistent agitation in order to prevent formation of large clinkers.

Burning corn for example can produce pin hole leeks in incorrect venting and lead to "bad stuff" leaking into your house as well as lead to large clinkers.

I've burned soybean stalk pellets and acorns with good success.

I think I could burn grass pellets also but have not seen them for sale.

Tim

Shane said:
I've never even seen grass pellets for sale anywhere. There are several multifuel stoves coming out now that should be able to handle them thought. I think the Quad Mt. Vernon AE can.

We were told that too when we bought, although there is no preset for switchgrass. I am sure they could program it with a software update. Wish I could do my own customer settings. Anyone hacked their AE controller? :)

I don't think grass pellets will put much of a dent in the wood pellet industry. There not going to burn in just any stove. You will see them compete more with corn. The 2% ash content is kind of low as We saw far more in the Timothy grass we tried. Over 3%. Corn is only about 1.2%.

j-takeman said:
I don't think grass pellets will put much of a dent in the wood pellet industry. There not going to burn in just any stove. You will see them compete more with corn. The 2% ash content is kind of low as We saw far more in the Timothy grass we tried. Over 3%. Corn is only about 1.2%.

They would have a benefit to us pellet burners though, there would be a better selection of ash plugged stoves going cheap on Craigs list.

I was trying to buy some grass pellets to try from a friend in mexifornia but his "prescription " won't. Cover me....

krooser said:
I was trying to buy some grass pellets to try from a friend in mexifornia but his "prescription " won't. Cover me....

ha ha you and your buddies will be hangin around the vent pipe (smelling the smoke)

Status
Not open for further replies.