Stovetop thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I was just curious as to what folks are using for stovetop thermometers. Mine is an Inferno
F15E1653-29F7-4845-A92F-72ED41706961.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same one. Ive never tested it against others but i like it and think its fairly accurate. From what i can tell it is a pretty popular thermometer on here and a lot of folks use it for what thats worth.

Reactions: JimBear
I have a Homesaver that is usually within 50 of my laser thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condar . . . I forget which exact model. It's been relatively accurate when stacked up against the IR thermometer.

I was just curious as to what folks are using for stovetop thermometers. Mine is an Inferno
View attachment 252822

I have several different ones (Condar, Rutland, Jotul). They all seem reasonably accurate, but I also use an IR thermometer to check all areas of the stove/ pipe.

Most of theses can be off 100 degrees or more. I think the IR guns are a lot more accurate. I have about 3 different makes of those and all test about the same on known temp surfaces. Maybe off 5 degrees or so between models.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBear and Ludlow
View attachment 252822

Use that one as well. Not sure of accuracy although when it is just below or just above the 400 degree mark, creosote, I no longer see smoke from the chimney cap.

I got the auber instrument stove pipe temperature sensor and i love it can read it from the couch and I have a camera pointed towards the stove and can see the temp on the monitor by my bed

Throw it away. I had one of those as freebie on a new stove purchase and found out after I got anIR gun that it was over 100 degrees off.

Accurate to within 25 to 50 degrees of my IR thermometer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190207-174044_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-174044_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 91
For my Jotul F400 Castine, the manual is very specific about where the magnetic thermometer should be placed on the top plate. Is this the case for other stoves? My top plate temperature varies by 50 deg depending where I point the IR gun.