Strange smell, not smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EasternPromise

Oct 26, 2020
Ontario
Mod Edit: the question was to an old thread. Started new one for this problem.

Did you ever get the smell issue sorted out? I'm having the exact same problem with a PE Super27. Always happens when starting stove from cold. I think my dealer is gaslighting me about this being 'heat smell' - but I don't think so. I stage the fire on startup so there isn't risk of that and stove pipe therm doesn't crack 1000F on startup.

Did you ever get the smell issue sorted out? I'm having the exact same problem with a PE Super27. Always happens when starting stove from cold. I think my dealer is gaslighting me about this being 'heat smell' - but I don't think so. I stage the fire on startup so there isn't risk of that and stove pipe therm doesn't crack 1000F on startup.
Is this a probe thermometer or a magnetic surface thermometer on the stovepipe?

Is this a probe thermometer or a magnetic surface thermometer on the stovepipe?
Probe into the stovepipe. I've heard theories that it's dust burnoff as this tends to happen when stove has idled, but I'm not sure I buy that. It's an acrid chemical smell and gives me a headache. Drives me crazy because we otherwise like our stove but the smell makes it unusable and I'm running out of troubleshooting options.

If a stove or stovetop gets over 750º there can be a hot stove smell. It may be dust burning off or the paint baking further, or just the smell of hot metal, but we have had this with every stove we have owned, enameled or painted.

Have you tried shutting down the air sooner so that the flue temp never exceeds say 700º?

If a stove or stovetop gets over 750º there can be a hot stove smell. It may be dust burning off or the paint baking further, or just the smell of hot metal, but we have had this with every stove we have owned, enameled or painted.

Have you tried shutting down the air sooner so that the flue temp never exceeds say 700º?
I have, but I have a hard time getting the fire going well enough before flue tempt shoots up well past 800. Also - even with air down all the way, flue temp is near 1000 when fire is going well and gas reburning. PE Super27 is a non-cat gas reburner.

Why would the paint reburn again and again, especially after hot fires. Stove is going into third season...

This sounds like strong draft. The Super 27 is an easy-breathing stove. How tall is the flue on this stove?

Have you read this thread on startup with a PE stove? It includes flue temps.

This sounds like strong draft. The Super 27 is an easy-breathing stove. How tall is the flue on this stove?

Have you read this thread on startup with a PE stove? It includes flue temps.
Chimney and all - it's probably over 30 feet. I'll give the thread a read. Maybe I'm jump starting the stove too aggressively and overheating. Aghast at possibility that dealer could be right. 😒

30' of the chimney is going to draw hard. Is there a key damper on the stovepipe? If not, one needs to be added. I would also block off the boost air port on the stove.

30' of the chimney is going to draw hard. Is there a key damper on the stovepipe? If not, one needs to be added. I would also block off the boost air port on the stove.
Interesting suggestion - thanks. I'm guessing key damper gets utilized if temps start to runaway at any point?

I'll look into the boost air port as well. Where would I find this on the stove?

Context wise, I'm burning dead white ash at 15-18% moisture, birch at around 20% and cedar sticks as kindling.

In this case, I would have the key damper closed as soon as the fire started burning strong.

With a strong draft, the boost air is too much and unnecessary. The boost intake port is a small hole underneath, behind the ash lip in the center. Place a magnet of metal tape over it.

I've reviewed the fire startup basics again, and also invested in a laser thermometer. I've been trying the top-down fire and starting a slow burn. By the time the fire gets into cruising mode I'm registering about 450F on the stove top, about 375-400 on the stove-pipe and anywhere from 800 to 1000 on the probe inset into the stove pipe. Conservative temp numbers at best. Nonetheless, the smell still persist, albeit not as strong as if I did a quicker fire.

It's hard to pin in down but it appears the smell is emanating from the stove pipe. I'll need to push the dealer again on resolving this issue. Thanks again for your help.

Did the boost air port get closed? Is the stove pipe damper closed? If yes, it sounds like the air should be turned down sooner to keep stovepipe probe temps lower. A 1000º flue temp is too hot.

Did the boost air port get closed? Is the stove pipe damper closed? If yes, it sounds like the air should be turned down sooner to keep stovepipe probe temps lower. A 1000º flue temp is too hothoti
I can't find the air port and don't have a stove pipe damper. But I'll try this again, specifically watching the probe temp... thx.

Take a mirror and a flashlight. Hold the mirror so that you can see the stove's underside. Look for a small hole, front and center, behind the ashlip.

Thanks. Blocked the air boost and it's been much easier to dampen the air down. On startup I got up to between 700 and 800 on the stovepipe probe temp. Measuring with temp gun, at around 300s on the stove and stovepipe I still get the smell - albeit admittedly not as strong as before. Stove didn't get past 400 so far through the cycle, which seems a bit low...

Chimney and all - it's probably over 30 feet. I'll give the thread a read. Maybe I'm jump starting the stove too aggressively and overheating. Aghast at possibility that dealer could be right. 😒
Is there anything begreen doesn't know about these stoves? Geesh! "easy breathing stove" - sounds like a personal relationship. LOL As I am narrowing down the process the PE Super 27 is my top runner at this time for what local dealers have in stock. The Super is $2990 with tax, whereas the Ironstike Performer 210 is $3765.63.
So unless someone wants to sing me the virtues of the Ironstrike that is quite a price point difference. Both dealers have excellent referrals and we are happy to work with either one.

I have thrown the tax credit out with the bath water... after speaking with my accountant it is not likely I would qualify anyhow.

If it was personal the stove would be a heavy breather. >>

• Haha
Reactions: RShim