Strap-on Thermal Switch shut-off location... Need for dielectric break?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
About ready to do a tie-in to my oil boiler. One concern I have is the low cost option to control the oil boiler when the econoburn is in operation.

I have the Caleffi mixing valve on the return (set to 142 degF). I've opted for a thermal switch to break contact at 160, restore at 150 to control firing of the oil boiler. I obviously have to place this on the supply line between the bypass "T" and the weighted check (see drawing). If my pipe fitting is correct, I'll have about 7'-6" between these two items.

My concern is two fold related to pipe heat transfer.

1. 160 degF supply water temps from the econoburn radiate triggering the thermal switch to knock power to the oil boiler before the mixing valve opens sending HW through the primary loop.
2. When econoburn is not in operation, the oil boiler does just the same thing and radiates heat through the piping.

If I were to place the thermal switch somewhere in the middle (say 3' +/-) from the weighted check, will this be enough distance to avoid these potential troubles?

Attachments

• EBW-100 Diagram rev2 - Copy.jpg
    EBW-100 Diagram rev2 - Copy.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.