Stratford Eco-Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was someone on here who was looking at these units that are combination boiler/stove. The concept is very intersting. When looking at them keep in mind 1kw=3.4k btu output. Make sure you are looking at the correct btu range for your application. I personally like not having to haul my wood through our living space, but I know others like the look and feel of the fire in the living space. These come in around 70% effecient which is not as higher as gasifiers which are around 90%. They seem to cost less though. Of course you have to pay to have it shipped over...

Something like the EKO 25 with an exterior like that would make a nice addition to any room. If the Stratford didn't mean scrounging, processing and loading 30% more wood year after year, I would be all over it.

My German doesn't extend very far beyond ein bier bitte...I didn't see anything bigger than 15kw?

The first model available is the SEB20 providing 12kW to water enough heat for up to 10 radiators, an ideal size stove for the average size family home.

I saw one, but did not pay much attention as it was not relevant to our needs. Common format for coal, not so common for wood. It for an English application, they are assuming a code design for heating systems down to -5C, and much smaller properties than would be common in the US. I would guess 1200 sq ft or so.

The SEB20 is rated at 20kW or 70k btu/hr, of which 12 kw or 41k btu/hr would go to water. I am assuming 50k btu/hr in normal operation with hard wood, with 30k btu/hr output to water, or enough to warm my hydronic slab by about 1 degree/hr, plus 20k radiant output to meet the house's immediate needs. My design loss is 25k btu/hr at 10 degrees F for a 1,600 SF house, so the stove is twice as large as I need. This is by design, so I can blaze away efficiently for 6 to 8 hours and be done with it. Granted, I have a blank slate in new construction, but I don't think there's much doubt about who will handle less wood.

I doubt if their main market is new build, but then you have a much larger temperature delta. So the things should cancel out.

I would we very tempted if I had such a situation as yours. Or even maybe an Aga? Cover all 3 needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.