Stuck between and Ashford and a Sirocco - could use some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tuthmose

Aug 12, 2018
N. VA
Afternoon folks,

After much back-and-forth, and having abandoned earlier thoughts of going with a Jotul, I’ve just about settled on biting the bullet and expending the extra cash and effort to get a Blaze King. From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, they seem to be the ideal stove (at least for my application).

So . . . one last question remains. Ashford 20, or Sirocco 20? The Ashford is cast iron, and 130lbs more mass than the Sirocco. The latter, of course, is measurably cheaper. I’d love to hear the opinions of folks who have one or the other. Is the Ashford worth the extra money? Or will the Sirocco give me virtually the same service? Any major differences in heat-up time, or heat-retention ability? Not having the experience, I’d love to hear from those who do.

Spring for the cast version, or save money on the steel?

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight – it is very much appreciated!

Inside they are the same stove. Service and operation will be very similar. If this was a non-cat stove I would lean toward the cast iron jacket for more even heat. But that is less of an advantage with a thermostatically regulated cat stove. That makes this more of an aesthetics decision.

No idea on the ashford but I love my sirocco.

What kinda area will it be in and how much area are you heating?

Another happy Sirocco 20 user here. I really like the looks of the Ashford as well. I have the sirocco 20. Its a amazing stove. I am certain the Ashford is as well. Basically comes down to what you find appealing. Cant go wrong with either model!

I have never owned or used either an Ashford or a Sirocco, but I thought I'd pose a question. Do you think you'd ever need or want to put a steamer or cook on the stove? If so, I think the cast iron jacketing of the Ashford might make that harder, whereas the steel of the Sirocco would allow it. Owners of either, please correct me if I'm wrong.

We cooked a bit on our Regency when we had it. We're going to try slow cooking a roast on our A30 but not sure if it's going to work. I'm measuring 275 on most of the cast top and 325 over the cat. If the power's out for extended periods we'll just lift off the top.

I've got an Ashford 20. I went with it since it's in the living room and we look at it all year. Amazing stove. To cook on it just lift the top cover of cast to expose the firebox steel.