"Stuff" to see and do in Boston

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wenger7446

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2007
Pottstown, PA
My wife and I headed to Boston for a few days. We plan on doing a few tours and stopping by Sam Adams. Does anyone else have any other suggustions?

Thanks!

Mike's Pastry in the North End on Hanover st. Some say the Modern bakery is better but I disagree.

Hmm...it's a good eating town....depending on your likes and dislikes.....check out yelp and travelocity for reviews...

Definitely head over to the north side - the little Italy of Boston. Lots of eateries, some good - some bad, but a lot of flavor. There are a few big bakeries there with the cannoli, etc....

If the weather holds out, Boston is a great walking town....even if it's 40 degrees you'll be OK. I like the walks from the charles street area (MGH, etc.) down to the Boston Common and then around there.

Walk, use public transit or spring for a cab....keep the car parked and you will be much happier.

Cambridge is right across the Charles and is a great place to walk - the Harvard Square area will make you feel smart. The Museum of Science is right there on the charles as you cross to Cambridge.......

In reasonable weather, you could start walking at the common and head up charles and go to the Science Museum and then into Cambridge....all on foot. One way...then take the transit or a cab back.

Paul Revere stuff is in the N. End Italian area......

I'm sure others have more....

Fanuiel Hall Market Place
Boston Commom
Isabella Gardner Musuem
Old South Church
Union Oyster House
Harvard Square
Observatory at the Prudential Building

we were there a couple weeks ago, hung out around Quincy Market

the Mrs wants to go back this weekend and explore a little more...
the question i have is this,,,,,how easy is the T to use and how safe is it ?

now remember your dealing with a real backwoods hick here

CTguy9230 said:
we were there a couple weeks ago, hung out around Quincy Market

the Mrs wants to go back this weekend and explore a little more...
the question i have is this,,,,,how easy is the T to use and how safe is it ?

now remember your dealing with a real backwoods hick here

T isn't bad, I am a dunebilly after all.

T is very easy to find your way around. Very simple, nothing like New York. If you go someplace on the green line (like the MFA) remember it branches into 3 lines and the above ground trollies run less often.

If you like history, you can follow the suggestions already given or just do the touristy thing and walk the freedom trail to see it all (Old North Church, South Meeting house, state house, Granary burial ground - Sam Adams tomb, Paul Revere House, etc all the way to the USS Constitution in Charelstown).

If you like museums, in addition to the mentioned ISG, there is the MFA, the new modern art museum (Im not into modern but the cantilevered building is supposed to be neat), the aquarium, the science museum, etc. Science museum is a bit dated but one fun and different thing to do is go there in the evening on nights the observatory is open. You get to watch a planetarium show then go up and see the real thing through the telescope. And lots of little museums around (there is a natural history museum inside Harvard but its pretty dull)...

You can earn some points taking the wife for a stroll through the shops on Newbury.

Its pricey, but you cant beat the view for an after dinner drink at the top of the hub.

For food I was always partial to the North end. For drink I could give you a list - I lived near Boston right after college and we went out drinking in town a lot. For food and drink blending some history the neighborhood of the Union Oyster house is very cool. The Union is supposedly the oldest restaurant in the US, and there is a bar next door called the Bell in Hand that claims to be the US oldest tavern... across the alley from the Bell is another bar called the Green Dragon where the patriots supposedly met to plan the revolution over beers.

Some of us are partial to the old Navy Yard in Charlestown and the USS Constitution.

Come May, the $10 twin-diesel catamaran ride out into the Harbor Islands is Good Stuff. Civil War era fort on George's Island, lots of old Army structures and interesting hiking on Peddocks Island. Among many others.

If a country bumpkin from Maine can figure out the T, anybody can . . .

And no one mentioned the Duck Boats . . . I know it's a touristy thing . . . and maybe they're not running now . . . but I have to confess that I kind of enjoyed the tour . . . the splash into the Charles wasn't all that exciting . . . I mostly enjoyed the quick tour of the area.

Still up in the air at this point...she wants Boston
and I'm thinking Maine to see relatives

btuser said:
Mike's Pastry in the North End on Hanover st. Some say the Modern bakery is better but I disagree.

I disagree with Mikes- it's fine enough, but always way too busy. A door or two down is Cafe Vittorie. Go to dinner someplace nice and save room- go to Cafe Vittoria and get gilato and/or a canoli and cappuccino. Then an after dinner drink. You may have to take a nap there after that.

CTguy9230 said:
Still up in the air at this point...she wants Boston
and I'm thinking Maine to see relatives

I love winter . . . but generally Maine is best experienced in my opinion in the Summer or Fall . . . lots of places close down in the winter months.

yeah i know things close down but it would be just a trip to visit
family, so that wouldnt be much an issue.

i see your in the Bangor area...we'd be a bit south of you
Belfast Searsport area

wenger7446 said:
My wife and I headed to Boston for a few days. We plan on doing a few tours and stopping by Sam Adams. Does anyone else have any other suggustions?

Thanks!

Tahiti, instead. or
Foxboro, Pats - Bills. or
Fenway

Lots of good suggestions above. Sometimes the Common can be entertaining. Saw the first person I ever saw getting mugged right in the middle of it. And everybody just glanced and walked on by.

CTguy9230 said:
yeah i know things close down but it would be just a trip to visit
family, so that wouldnt be much an issue.

i see your in the Bangor area...we'd be a bit south of you
Belfast Searsport area

No kidding . . . I like in Unity . . . about 20 or 25 minutes from Belfast . . . one of my favorite movie theaters (not that I go a lot) is the Colonial -- they have one theater that is set up like the old theaters with balcony seats . . . I also enjoy getting my seafood fix at The Weathervane.

Thanks for the great suggestions. We are here now and enjoying what Boston has to offer (many of your suggestions above).

Yelp is a great app to review places before you try. It is a great eating town for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.