Stupid media. The video of nun being a hero with chainsaw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Was watching it on a news and it hurts even to watch . Nun praised for helping to clean after hurricane. Go to 1: 55. Do you see anything wrong with it?

Is there even a chain on the saw?
I'm not seeing any chips ....;?

Does a saw work better when you run it forth and back against the tree? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll probably be sent to hell for picking on a nun but my wife says I'm already on the express train to there anyway. ;lol

Reactions: Dmitry and SeanBB
Was watching it on a news and it hurts even to watch . Nun praised for helping to clean after hurricane. Go to 1: 55. Do you see anything wrong with it?

I hear you but the media is just telling a story that the public wants to hear. It's not the media that's hailing her as a hero, they're just covering the story. If the media covered the story in the context of "Nuns can't do anything right", the public would be critical of that coverage also. Nobody can deny the "can do" spirit of the nun IS the story. Whether she's effective or not is another question.

That look of determination is priceless!

Does a saw work better when you run it forth and back against the tree? Inquiring minds want to know.

No. It doesn't actually increase the speed of the cut. But when your chain is that dull it's not about how fast it is or isn't cutting, it's about when the bar/chain will catastrophically over-heat. Distributing the heat along the entire length of the bar is a good strategy. ;)

It also provides the illusion that more work is being accomplished which is always a good thing. First impressions matter.

I'll probably be sent to hell for picking on a nun but my wife says I'm already on the express train to there anyway. ;lol

I didn't see your question as "picking on a nun". There's nothing wrong with investigating more efficient work methods.

Lots of things wrong. What she gets right is having the proper attitude and spirit. Also, doing for yourself and your community instead of waiting for government to bail you out also is heartening to see.

They need more recruits with mechanical KSA's and a conviction to support their Worldly efforts. Like a child one has to crawl and fall before he can walk. She's got the knowledge to know she needs a saw. The chain probably went dull after a few encounters with the dirt next to those lower limbs and only someone with trimming wisdom would know and insist on a break of the interview until the chain was sharpened. But maybe this is the hidden draw here-wink, someone sees the smoke from the chain and no wood chips and says to themselves "they don't know what they're doing! Me, my buddies, and my equipment are going down there on the next flight out of here".
Ideally, I'm going to give her credit for her will (where there is a will there is a way) and her can-do attitude. BUT, while she is cutting she should be (and probably is) praying for help.