Stupidest stopepipe question ever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwfrazier

Oct 5, 2008
Jefferson, GA
So, can you attach 6" double wall stove pipe to 6" single wall stove pipe, and do you need an adaptor to do so?

More specifically, I need to use double wall coming out of the back of the stove for clearance to combustible issues, but then I will be using a single wall tee inside an existing prefab fireplace to connect to a liner.

Can I connect the double wall DVL pipe to the single wall tee without an adaptor?

Thanks for the help, and try not to laugh at me too much.

John

First of all... very few stoves are approved to vent through a prefab ZC box.

That being said, I think normally the Tee would connect to a mortar sleeve and the double wall connects to that somehow...

Let me take a look at the simpson instructions and I'll be right back.

----

Well they gave me no ideas...

Does the Tee have a snout on it? Can you just jam the DVL pipe onto that?

Hi, jtp. Sorry to leave everyone hanging in suspense. Thanks to the excellent advice here, I did some very careful measuring.

The horizontal run of stovepipe will just barely fit without cutting into the marble. However, I still wont be 18" away from combustibles as the area above the marble is painted sheetrock, so I would need to use double wall pipe. I am assuming, that once I get into the inside of the fireplace, the single wall tee will be ok, as you build open fire in there.
How to connect the double wall pipe to the tee?

What happens if you just jam them together? Is the inner of the "up" side of the DVL the same size as that snout?

Are your clearances to the surround and mantle going to be ok? What kind of liner do you have in there?

jtp: I dont have the double wall pipe yet; I just ordered it today, so I'm not sure the answer to your question, yet. I am hoping that the inner wall will just slip into the tee. We will see.

Do you think the single wall tee will be ok? I considered a double wall tee, but I was told by my salesman at dynamite buys that a double wall tee would not connect to the liner.

Branchburner: the clearances should be ok for the mantle and surround because I can sit into the room as far as I need to get the required clearance. I have orderd an adjustable 5" - 12" double wall pipe, plus a 4" double wall damper/adapter, so the stove will be sitting into the room about 10 inches. The liner is a 6" SS flexliner with 1/2" insulation wrap, inside of the existing double wall 1800 degree chimney pipe, so I think we are ok for the 2100 degree rating.

Thank you guys for helping me on this.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.