Sturgeon / St.Lawrence River

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Caught and realeased by John (The Hook) Matthews on the St.Lawrence River near one of the many red buoys. They estimate it came in at 50 pounds, good catch John but it was a Bass and Walleye tournament! :zip:

Zap

Attachments

• johns sturgeon.jpg
    johns sturgeon.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 349
I have never eaten sturgeon, but have had people tell me it is akin to lobster. That sure does look tasty in the pic. :)

Nice catch.

Spliter I skipped all the tournaments this year and worked on the wood, thats not my boat I think it's Johns partner Dewey (Big Mean Looking Guy). Jags it is illegal to keep or eat sturgeon in New York State, the sturgeon numbers on the St. Lawrence are coming back which is good.

A couple of years ago they put in a new spawning bed for the sturgeon, I was sent a video of the sturgeon over the bed and it's amazing how many were there.

John and Dewey were not fishing the sturgeon bed.

zap

zapny said:
Jags it is illegal to keep or eat sturgeon in New York State, the sturgeon numbers on the St. Lawrence are coming back which is good.

Good news that they are on the rebound. Up in cheese land and on the Mississippi there are seasons for sturgeon. I have never had the pleasure, but would like to go some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.