Subtle way to sway my dad's thinking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice would be to lead by example. If he's interested in changing his ways, he will take notice and ask questions. It's hard for people to change their ways when they have been doing it a certain way for so long. He has to be the one that wants to change.

As others have mentioned, just make sure he gets his pipes cleaned regularly. :)

Reactions: Seanm
Ok thanks for the replies everyone. I'll just try to get us far enough ahead on fire wood that there's no option other then to burn 2 year seasoned.

Reactions: Ashful
My dad was stuck in the zone Split firewood in the spring, stack it, cover it completely with a tarp and leave it until burning season, I tried talking with him about leaving it uncovered through September then just top covering it, I swear you would have thought we were sending a man to the moon with the discussions about this. Finally I just let him go and do what he wants, but I had a trick up my sleeve. Since I always helped him with his firewood stuff I figured he would return the favor when I was getting things ready for my self. After my 1st season of burning I acquired a 2 year supply of wood, I called him over to help stack it, and we did but we stacked everything my way. I could tell it was bothering him that I didn't cover it right away but since it was my house he didn't say much, later in September while he was over I made it a point to say hey you wanna help me cover these piles, he helped and noted how the splits we stacked were already greyed out and had deep check marks at the end. That was it, he was sold, he even switched to top covering only when it was time to cover the wood. Also he's on the need to be 2 years a head kick, and we now have dinner table moisture meter reading discussions. (yeah we are nerds when it comes to firewood)

Like Warno says, lead by example. When he is at your house drop very subtle hints about how well your wood is burning, and if you get a chance, loan him some nice dry wood.

My father is the same. When we cut trees down he is the one who fells it no one else, you can give your opinion and thoughts, but he takes it down. The man has been doing it for forty plus years so how do you argue. At that age they have their ways, but like kennyp2339 said your house your way. Some things they will change on and others they won't give an inch. Have to pick and choose your battles. I have won him over with the being a couple years ahead on wood but it was not easy. He saw the three plus year old black locust I had in the stove one day and from there it was over. In their defense it's not like their ways haven't worked for years I remember cutting, splitting stacking, and then nine months later burning. Clean chimney before every burn season and then burn away. Times have changed but the old timers knew how to make it work, got us to where we're at today.

So I'm going to bring this up again because it doesn't seem to matter how much I say the hedge isn't ready dad thinks it's good to go. it was cut about this time last year and split shortly there after. when I went to get a load of wood he said "take that hedge you can burn it now". I said I doubt it. so I took it, split 2 pieces open, and tested 30% on both. his response was "it doesn't matter what your little meter says you can burn green hedge". I tried to say that hedge does have sap in it his response well not that much. even though the branches I trimmed this stuff off of looked like milk pouring out the end. so I'll be leaving this stuff in my shed for about 2 more years, probably, then try it out.

Reactions: Jmatz
Try some of the suggested "sneaky pete '' suggestions posted above. If one doesn't do it try them all successively... or just say Phuket (not the city in Thailand):)

I bet the old "hey dad I got to burn this other stuff first because it's paper dry and I don't want any shorter burn times than what I'm already getting from this other stuff" will work, call it white lies from the wood pile.

If Dad won't believe the meter what can you do? Tell him that excess water robs heat and that sure I can burn it but I'd rather wait and use it when its at its best.

I have discovered with my dad that if something worked for him for 30 years before I was born and is still working for him 36 years after I was born there is no use in me trying to convince him to do it different. These old timers know more than we give them credit for. We all know that split wood drys faster but what works for my dad works for him and that is all he is concerned about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: heavy hammer
I give up. he thinks it's fine, I told him it's not. we won't be burning it this year so hopefully next year its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.