Sucking air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
I'm pretty sure we've got an air leak going on. I swear it's sucking air at the collar where the pipe connects. I can just hear a sound like air being drawn and I don't think it's coming from the bottom of the stove where the combustion air is drawn in. If it is, what could this cause (I'm thinking creosote since it would be sucking cooler air), but could it cause performance issues also? Not entirely sure how we'd fix it now mid season...

Mine leaks some air there, but I generally only hear it when things are really cold, and I have a big honking load of wood in the stove and am letting the sucker run at full tilt temp wise.

That said, if you think it's leaking at the stove collar, check by taking a grill lighter and seeing if the flame gets sucked in there.

Otherwise, if the stove is operating normally, then I wouldn't worry.

pen

When the pipe is cool, rub some furnace cement into the seam around the collar and see if that stops it.

Mine leaks some air there, but I generally only hear it when things are really cold, and I have a big honking load of wood in the stove and am letting the sucker run at full tilt temp wise.

That said, if you think it's leaking at the stove collar, check by taking a grill lighter and seeing if the flame gets sucked in there.

Otherwise, if the stove is operating normally, then I wouldn't worry.

pen

That might explain why I'm hearing it more, it's been 20's/teens a lot lately.

I've got to empty the coals and ash this weekend, it's built up too much-we're either experiencing short burn times because it sucks (literally) or we're not fitting enough in the box. 4-5 hours on 2 year old dry wood sucks. It's been so windy I haven't been able to dump the full ash bucket safely (it's been sitting for a month in this cold surrounded by non-melting snow but we won't dump it if its to windy) so it's overdue for a cleanout.

I would also suggest using a high temp gasket rope material. I used this at each double wall black pipe connection between my wood furnace and class A pipe.

Eric

Sealing the chimney there will reduce creosote formation and improve your draft. I also agree with the gasket being used to do so, providing you can cram in in there.

Are you sure the "sucking" sound isn't the draft flow?
I can hear sucking from my insert, but it is the draft I am hearing, which diminished and stops when I cut the air back some, and all the way.
27' of liner gives a pretty strong draft here.

Reactions: rdust
Status
Not open for further replies.