Sugar Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 27, 2015
Delaware
Before I process this one can anyone confirm what type of maple this is?

Attachments

• IMG_6378.JPG
    IMG_6378.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6379.JPG
    IMG_6379.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_6380.JPG
    IMG_6380.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 274
That looks a lot like willow to me. Are you positive it's a maple? If it is willow, it's not worth cranking your saw for. If your sure it's maple process it. Some maple is better than others but they all make pretty good firewood in my experience.

Pretty sure it's willow though. Which burns like 50% wet paper 50% some strange material which produces zero btu's but somehow miraculously still burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks a lot like willow to me. Are you positive it's a maple? If it is willow, it's not worth cranking your saw for. If your sure it's maple process it. Some maple is better than others but they all make pretty good firewood in my experience.

Pretty sure it's willow though. Which burns like 50% wet paper 50% some strange material which produces zero btu's but somehow miraculously still burns.
K

StihlKicking thanks for the reply. I have a willow in my hedgerow and tried burning a large branch that fell off a few years ago. Your right after that attempt I learned it was not worth it. The tree in my picture, the farmer said "hey you want this Maple tree the fell a few months ago?" I looked at it and wasn't sure if it was Silver or Sugar...

If your sure it's one of the two you can't go wrong. That being said sugar is the much better firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be there for it Saturday!

Well I guess I'll figure it out once I get it opened up