Suggested Truck/Engine Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well i spoke too soon about not having any problems with a recently purchased 2015 GMC truck . Not a major problem but ,keep getting a message that right front tire is low on air 28psi. Tire is actually 38PSI. Getting annoying. I reset it but still get the same result. Whats the fix for this?

Well i spoke too soon about not having any problems with a recently purchased 2015 GMC truck . Not a major problem but ,keep getting a message that right front tire is low on air 28psi. Tire is actually 38PSI. Getting annoying. I reset it but still get the same result. Whats the fix for this?
Think that would be a faulty sensor. Its inside the tire.

Think that would be a faulty sensor. Its inside the tire.
I wont be messing with that for awhile. I can monitor my own tire pressure. One of those added features i can do without. Ill be looking to disable the message for now.

Last edited:
I wont be messing with that for awhile. I can monitor my own tire pressure. One of those added features i can do without. Ill be looking to disable the message for now.

If you have a Discount Tire near you they have a machine that will erase the code, and reset the TPMS sensor. I have a message on my Chevy that says the tire pressure monitoring system needs service. Seems the batteries last about 10 years. It's about 280 to replace all four, so I think I'll wait as well.

Disabling the message can be done from the dash.

On some cars, the sensor is built into the valve stem. I've replaced all four on our Volvo, three of the four went in rapid succession around 8 years of age. It was as quick and simple as threading the old stem off the rim and the new one in, no tire removal required.

Actually, full disclosure, I had it done at the dealer... the car was already there for timing belt. But the rest of the story is true. ;lol

On some cars, the sensor is built into the valve stem. I've replaced all four on our Volvo, three of the four went in rapid succession around 8 years of age. It was as quick and simple as threading the old stem off the rim and the new one in, no tire removal required.

Actually, full disclosure, I had it done at the dealer... the car was already there for timing belt. But the rest of the story is true. ;lol
Most are now part of the valve stem but I have never seen one that could be serviced with the tire on the bead.

Our van is blinking the tire icon at us also indicating a fault. It will wait till we need tires the fronts need replaced soon I hope it is a front sensor

You can try to inflate the tire to get the light off then deflate it down to where it has to be. Sometimes if it’s within the % plus or minus the light will stay off. I know mine is 10psi in my truck.

You can try to inflate the tire to get the light off then deflate it down to where it has to be. Sometimes if it’s within the % plus or minus the light will stay off. I know mine is 10psi in my truck.

Mine are part of the valve stem, but at $70 a pop installed, I too can wait.

Mine are part of the valve stem, but at $70 a pop installed, I too can wait.

mid you can break the bead yourself you can change them. All you need to do is break it at the valve stem and use a c-clamp to open it enough to get it to it. Break it off and pull the new one through the valve stem hole. I have done a bunch with a bead breaker on the vehicle.

If you use an OEM sensor it’s just a matter of training them after the new one is installed.

Reactions: Ashful
mid you can break the bead yourself you can change them. All you need to do is break it at the valve stem and use a c-clamp to open it enough to get it to it. Break it off and pull the new one through the valve stem hole. I have done a bunch with a bead breaker on the vehicle.

If you use an OEM sensor it’s just a matter of training them after the new one is installed.

How do you train them, or will the computer just start picking up the new signal?

Most are now part of the valve stem but I have never seen one that could be serviced with the tire on the bead.
Breaking the bead is easy, it’s getting the tire off the rim that I don’t want to try at home. Most home mechanics should be able to break the bead, get a hand in there, unthread the valve stem and replace the sensor, without having to remove the tire.

Breaking the bead is easy, it’s getting the tire off the rim that I don’t want to try at home. Most home mechanics should be able to break the bead, get a hand in there, unthread the valve stem and replace the sensor, without having to remove the tire.
You don’t need to remove the tire on a Chevy. It’s mounted to the stem. C clamp to push it in and out of the way.

Yes I know that

I have winter rims for snowtires. I elected not to install TPMS sensors in the winter rims. An appropriately placed piece of electrical tape blocks the warning light on the dash. I remove it when I switch rims in the spring.