Suggestions for a good Large Humidifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Looking to buy a good quality home humidifier. Want something that lasts a long time, is semi portable and easy to refill.

I'm OK with this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VP7FWA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's possible to refill w/o spilling, and if your water isn't too hard you can clean and reuse a filter for a while. I'll give it a mild bleach solution once a season. Low wattage consumption. But, it's a cold, wet breeze. But it makes a measurable difference on my humidity gauge.

You probably already know if you want to impact your humidity, you have to put a lot of water into the air. This is passive, so the air will only take what it can absorb. I can put several gallons in a day.

We have a Honeywell Quietcare tower model, and I can't complain too much, except that the tank is fragile. I have cracked it twice, once by dropping it while empty, and another by bumping it on the table after filling it. I repaired that with clear silicone caulking and all is well. It is very quiet, and has lasted us a few years, even though it was used when we got it. The wick/filter needs to be soaked overnight in vinegar occasionally with our hard water, but no big deal. It takes up very little floor space, only about 8"x8" or so, but humidifies our home (2300 sq ft total) comfortably, using about a tank per day. We have a humidifier built in with the furnace, but for some reason I get a severe headache after using it for a few days. I completely cleaned it and replaced the water panel last year, but I cannot use it. I wonder if it is activating dust mites or mold in the ducts when it runs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.