Suggestions for arched fireplace?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Npd

Nov 15, 2019
St Charles, IL
Hello all!

I posted a few questions regarding a wood burning stove/insert for upgrading our existing wood burning fireplace. I was a little hesitant about a gas fireplace, but now am leading that direction. The fireplace will be used to bring warmth to the area. We run forced air heating to heat the home, but the fireplace area is chilly and sometimes unwelcoming due to floor to ceiling windows in the room. We just want to make it more comfortable and inviting. Dimensions are as follows...

45.5 wide
21.5 high at sides of arch
29.25 high at arch apex
25.5 from front of hearth to back of fireplace.
20 from front facing apex of arch to the back
34 wide at the back of the fireplace.

Measuring from inside the masonry/arch...
20.5 from inside the masonry/stone arch to back of fireplace
14 deep from inside stone arch to back of fireplace.

I'm open to suggestions, I've seen the heat N glo escape in person, but I'm open to gas stoves, too! I'm just concerned about an insert fitting in the arch fireplace, as my wife and I do not want a surround covering the existing masonry.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20190912_104552.jpg
    20190912_104552.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190912_104624.jpg
    20190912_104624.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190912_104631.jpg
    20190912_104631.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 154
This one might fit. You will need to check the height at 31" wide.
It's got the old wood stove look & comes in a couple of different colors

1574712375736.png

Woodstock Soapstone Company makes a few sizes of gas stoves. I’m no expert in the area, but I was looking at them a couple years ago.

I’m not sure about the height to width ratio working on your fireplace, but I think one of their Keystone wood burning stove might complement your arch well.

What really prompted me to respond to this thread, though, was your comment about your windows making that part of the house uninviting. Our climate is warmer than yours, of course, but I know what you mean about cold windows. Our house has large windows in many, many rooms. They are double-paned and fairly well sealed according to an energy audit we had done, but there is just too much window-to-wall ratio for energy efficiency. It’s a problem for cold and heat, but we have been very impressed by the improvement that installing interior window inserts has made. One area that was always uncomfortable during cold weather and north winds has been noticeably more snug this November. We’ve actually had eight nights below freezing to test them, despite the fact that it did hit eighty today. We notice not only that rooms feel more comfortable but that the house doesn’t swing as much as it used too with the extreme weather changes we get.

Here is one that i installed for one of my customers it is a Kozy heat Rosevelt 29 Insert. It took some careful measruing to make the backer piece that blanked off the opening and a little bit of customizing on the surround itself. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpeg
    Fireplace.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: DAKSY
Kozy doing custom arched panels like jseits did is the way to go. We did one where we had Stoll make an inside fit arched lintel mortared in and fit the panel up to that lintel. I’ll try to find my pictures

Kozy doing custom arched panels like jseits did is the way to go. We did one where we had Stoll make an inside fit arched lintel mortared in and fit the panel up to that lintel. I’ll try to find my pictures

I actually had the local sheet metal shop Make the surround up with a 3/4 inch angle around the outside edge to get mortared into place, and had the opening just big enough in the middle for the insert to slide in. anchored the bigger blank pane to the firebrick inside like a set of wood burning doors would.