Suggestions for insert in large room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
BenTN nailed it. An insert goes into an existing masonry fireplace. This is ZC fireplace. The options are:
1) replace it with a modern efficient ZC fireplace
2) put a freestanding, rear-vent wood stove on the hearth that is connected to a liner up the current ZC chimney
3) remove the current ZC fireplace completely and turn the space into an alcove for a freestanding stove
4) keep the existing ZC and be happy​
I have continued to research and look at all options and came across the PE FP30. Do you think this would be a good option and I would be able to have one installed with my current set up? I also saw the Kozy Heat zc EPA fireplaces as well.

Last edited:
I have continued to research and look at all options and came across the PE FP30. Do you think this would be a good option and I would be able to have one installed with my current set up? I also saw the Kozy Heat zc EPA fireplaces as well.
The FP30 is a zero-clearance fireplace. Unsure if it would match closely to the dimensions of the existing fireplace for a close replacement. To install it would take opening up the chase on the outside for access to the existing ZC fireplace and its removal. Then there is the question of whether the current interior opening framing would match the requirements for the new FP30. The odds are there would need to be some reconfiguring. Once the new ZC fireplace is installed, then the interior stone work would need redressing to fit the new fireplace and the back of the chase restored.

I have a gas insert that I'm yanking this spring to install a wood stove. It will be an alcove installation like the one in this photo...I reckon a similar look could be achieved in your case?

Suggestions for insert in large room