Suggestions on install through joists

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

v2kea412

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Standish, ME
I was planning on installing my pellet stove 8 feet from my outer wall, by going up and through floor joists to the outer wall. I am now running into clearance complications with the ICC piping and my joists. Any suggestions on what can be done to still allow the piping through the space even though the clearance is like .5" around the joists? I have attached a couple of photos for reference. I was hoping that maybe wrapping the joists where closest with some heat shield or something.... Even though of cutting some of the joist away, but really would like to maintain the structural integrity on my home :)

Attachments

• Suggestions on install through joists
    pic1b.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Suggestions on install through joists
    pic1a.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 473
So when the manual of the ICC pipe states to keep a min of 1" from combustibles, if I wrap the joists with something non-combustible and can hang the pipe so that it is .5" away from all sides of the joist....would that be acceptable?

this is not a good idea
you will need 1/4 rise per foot at 8 feet you will a least need 3" of rise
and how the hell you going to clean that pipe?
the more horizontal run you have the harder the combustion blower will have to work
and the pipe will fill up with fly ash.

Well this is terrible news... I literally have no clue where to put this stove then... Think I am going to have to consult a local expert to come do a site survey... Would be a shame to have to try to sell 3 tons of pellets and a stove.... or go through the foundation wall.... which might be the better solution... Perhaps if I added some pics I could get some advice.

Why are you 8' from an outer wall?

First, you never want to cut into any structural members for any reason, unless the manufacturer of said trusses says you can such as J-25's. All the aforementioned advice you've gotten so far is correct and if it is possible for you to go through your foundation, that would be a good option and if done properly and to code. Also, another option would be to put the pipe under the joists and provide the appropriate clearances and rise.

I'm no expert, but through the trusses I would suggest no. Through your foundation just might be your best bet, and although it involves some extra work, it may be a good option.

Good luck.

Steve

I built a partition wall to separate my existing furnace, oil tank and water heater from the rest of the basement i am finishing. Have a 28x48 ranch with daylight basement on backside. On the front of the house are mostly windows, on the driveway side, I could put it, but am afraid that when i build an attached garage, this location will not work. On the back side, I have a laundry room and a pool table and a patio door, and also a 16x20 deck 8 feet above. So really I am limited. The required clearances to windows and such are preventing any other placements... I told the dealer where I bought the stove that I was 7' from the outer wall, and he said it would work, just get 4" pipe rather than 3".... If worse comes to worse, I could drill a hole through the foundation below the floor joists where I was going to originally go out...

Thats seeming like your best solution. Remember with the required clearances to windows you can always go above and get your clearance with the height

OK....so I went back down in the basement.... Here is what I think I am going to do now.... On the daylight side I am going to put the stove in the middle of the wall, and simply go up 5 feet and out. Will have to move the pool table, but at least I have a nice solution for the stove... I had read somewhere that a vertical length of a specific number of feet was recommended... Where this is going to be under my deck, will 5 feet work for vertical? And if that is the case, I should get 3" pipe as opposed to 4"; correct? Thanks for all the help!

v2kea412 said:
OK....so I went back down in the basement.... Here is what I think I am going to do now.... On the daylight side I am going to put the stove in the middle of the wall, and simply go up 5 feet and out. Will have to move the pool table, but at least I have a nice solution for the stove... I had read somewhere that a vertical length of a specific number of feet was recommended... Where this is going to be under my deck, will 5 feet work for vertical? And if that is the case, I should get 3" pipe as opposed to 4"; correct? Thanks for all the help!

I hope you really don't mean that you are going to vent under your deck!

I think I will be able to call it pretty close to venting under the deck... I need to be 4' from my day light basement door(which is a slider). My deck is 8' to 9' off the ground since it is off the daylight side. According to the documentation in the ICC pipe manual, I need a minimum of 12" under a deck or veranda. I think I can still be 4' to the right of my basement slider, and 4' from the slider over the deck, and still still be a foot or so under the deck to meet the guidelines... Was your concern that my deck was close to the ground?

I think his concern was the distance between the outlet of the vent pipe and the decking materials/joists. Heat rises and depending on the total length of your exhaust it can be an issue.

Is it possible to go straight up through the 1st floor and through the roof?

Steve

darkstar said:
v2kea412 said:

I hope you really don't mean that you are going to vent under your deck!

Do not terminate the vent in any enclosed or semi-enclosed areas such as a carport, garage, attic, crawlspace, narrow walkway, closely fenced area, under a sundeck or porch, or any location that can build up a concentration of 9fumes such as stairwells, covered breezeway, etc.

That is what the documentation stated. The deck is like I said 8 feet up and nothing is enclosed underneath it. Just 6 4x4 stilts holding it up. :) I am pretty much sold on putting it there now... It will cost $150 to have my pool table professionally moved, but the savings on ICC pipe alone should pay for that. Can I go to 3" pipe as well now that I have essentially eliminated most of my horizontal run?

OK
Do the Pool table your self.
All you need is some Bondo to smooth out the Seam in the slate when you put it back together.
Level
Staple gun
You will see how they leveled it when you take it apart.

Save the $150 for a Pressure washer so you can clean the soot of the wall and bottom of the deck.

v2kea412 said:
lol....I hear what you are saying, but really have no other option... But what about the 4" to 3" pipe question?

you can go up through the deck once you get outside
I have done it 25 times or so.

If you are not long run you dont need the 4" unless you want more room for ash.

hearthtools said:
v2kea412 said:
lol....I hear what you are saying, but really have no other option... But what about the 4" to 3" pipe question?

When you say 'want more room for ash', is that sarcastic? Not sure if room for ash is a good thing...

v2kea412 said:
hearthtools said:
v2kea412 said:

When you say 'want more room for ash', is that sarcastic? Not sure if room for ash is a good thing...

Not sarcastic at all. If you use a 4" pipe you have more room for the ash so a clog or buildup will take longer, and you'll have a better draft.

rap69ri said:
v2kea412 said:
hearthtools said:
v2kea412 said:

Not sarcastic at all. If you use a 4" pipe you have more room for the ash so a clog or buildup will take longer, and you'll have a better draft.

Thanks! Since I have pulled the protective paper off one of my thimbles, I guess I will stick with the 4" anywho...

Status
Not open for further replies.