Suggestions on less expensive stove please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleTea

Dec 14, 2016
North Carolina
I'm back.... We may need to reduce our wood stove budget. Initially was leaning towards a Environ, Lopi, Woodstock. I've been reading the forums on more budget friendly stoves and I'm looking at Drolet, Englander, Osburn. BeGreen has been kind enough to suggest a 2 cf firebox size for my particular needs. Middle of North Carolina, 963 sf downstairs and 1,154 sf upstairs. Was hoping to use the stove as my primary heat source downstairs and to get me through power outages. So ability to cook up top is important. Also wanted to burn overnight when necessary. Unlike my two previous winters here the temperatures keep swinging in both directions so the stove should do well when I just need a little heat. So let me have it...what are some stoves to consider?

A Pacific Energy Super 27 would work well. If that is still too high look at the Englander 50 SSW01 (Madison), Drolet Escape 1800, True North TN20, Timberwolf EPA2200, Century FW3000

So far i have been well pleased with my Drolet escape 1800. I considered the Englander madison but I choose otherwise for better clearances. Drolets customer service is excellent.

Reactions: LittleTea
Unless the stove is designed for cooking, you would probably void your warranty if you use it for cooking. With that said, I have used and know several people that have used a steel heating wood stove without any problems. If your plan is to use it for occasional cooking I would look at the stove's With the Thicker steel top plates such as The Drolet, the Osburn, PE, and the US Stove. Verify the thickness of steel for your particular model and use first.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleTea
Status
Not open for further replies.