Summer Maintenance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dtalbot

Dec 15, 2019
SE Missouri
Been 2 heating seasons since I got my Heatilator CAB50. Works GREAT, I'm delighted with it.
Gonna do some maintenance this year, need a new door gasket, no biggie.
I do have a question about the firebox, however. I live in a high moisture area and I noted a slight rust haze on the box when I fired it last fall.
Heatilator mentions painting to protect it. I'm not going to due to the difficulty and any slight dust would negate the adhesion.
I was thinking I might put a thin coat of fine oil on the inside, instead of the paint.
Any thoughts from the masses on this approach, any other suggestions in lieu of paint?

Oil will work also try some Damp rid (Home Depot)

I spray mine with WD40. Then, I cap the exhaust and OAK openings, and leave the stove door open a couple of inches. That lets the drier inside air circulate inside the stove. We have AC, so summers indoors are not very humid. No visible rust in 8 years. I also make sure all of the pellets are out of the stove, including the auger. I have heard too many stories of pellets that clotted up and jammed the auger like cement.

I think the spray oil is a great idea, much easier to get a light coat. Thanks for that!
good tips here...
I use Pam cooking spray[non-flavored of course.] to coat inside walls..
also use 2 canisters of damprid to avoid rust...
btw: to those who claim moisture doesn't get into your stove..
those containers we're in the stove for approx 5-6 months..
Outside air was sealed off. also exhaust at top was sealed off and yet...............>>>>>>>> 2/half inches or more of water absorbed...

Attachments

• 20181004_120808.jpg
    20181004_120808.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 158
No, no, NO! Virgin Olive Oil only! The fire gods demand it or you will be putting a curse on your stove.
That explains it! Every time I put pellets in my stove, they get burned up!

Reactions: johneh