Summer Moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnhimm

Dec 20, 2014
Maryland
Any tips on keeping the MT Vernon EA Insert dry over the summer? Last year I had mild rusting inside the unit. Do you use moisture absorbing containers they sell for boats? This year I just ran it unti it was empty also, has small amount of debris last year that swelled.

Thanks

I just block off the vent and OAK, and leave the stove door open about an inch. No rust problems in 8 years.

Reactions: johnhimm
also, go to home depot and get a box of damprid..very cheap.
I usually buy 2 boxes. 1 for burning area and the other for lower area.
by fall both boxes have at least an inch or so of water in them.

btw: I also block off the vent and oak from outside but somehow moisture STILL finds it's way
into my stove.. this way I am double secured....

Reactions: johnhimm
Any tips on keeping the MT Vernon EA Insert dry over the summer? Last year I had mild rusting inside the unit. Do you use moisture absorbing containers they sell for boats? This year I just ran it unti it was empty also, has small amount of debris last year that swelled.

Thanks

note:
leaving the stove door open all summer works for some here but doesn't always quarantee you won't get some rusting.
One size doesn't always fit all...;)
lot depends on where you live, humidity levels, how much or little you use air conditioner in the summer etc.....I never felt that secure to just leaving the door open.too many variables.
go with the damprid and no surprises in the fall..also block off the outside air entrances...

Last edited:
note:
leaving the stove door open all summer works for some here but doesn't always quarantee you won't get some rusting.
One size doesn't always fit all...;)
lot depends on where you live, humidity levels, how much or little you use air conditioner in the summer etc.....I never felt that secure to just leaving the door open.too many variables.
go with the damprid and no surprises in the fall..also block off the outside air entrances...

Yeah - I can block off the OAK and exhaust for the P43 (main floor- unconditioned house) and it will be okay. The P61a in the basement (unfinished, unconditioned and on the moist side) needs extra protection so I use some Fogging Oil in it. Others use spray on cooking oil.

Yeah - I can block off the OAK and exhaust for the P43 (main floor- unconditioned house) and it will be okay. The P61a in the basement (unfinished, unconditioned and on the moist side) needs extra protection so I use some Fogging Oil in it. Others use spray on cooking oil.
oops....;em
forgot to mention that i also spray the burnpot and side walls each year with cooking spray.

Reactions: bogieb
I don't have an OAK, so I guess I will just block the exhaust area, which i assum is in the back, vents up the chimney. I will also use damp rid in the hopper and in the burn area.

Thanks

I really don't worry about it to much. I don't empty it or clean it when I'm done. Just unplug and enjoy the warm summer months.

I love my stove don't get me wrong. Just some people go crazy over this stuff!

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I really don't worry about it to much. I don't empty it or clean it when I'm done. Just unplug and enjoy the warm summer months.

HA...
like it takes all summer to clean the stove.....[just joking].
hour/half and done till fall..though I confess I am one of those that refuses to hand wash my cars..
i take them to the car wash. gives me more time to enjoy the summer months..>>

What size do you get... the big ones are like 10 bucks...
Two of those isn't "that" cheap...

Dan
don't remember.. i get 2 round canisters...smallest ones...also you can save the canisters and following year just get 2 re-fill bags to fill them which cost less.
don't need the big ones... they are for rooms. like bathrooms and mildew areas...

I dont do anything either, but I respect other's points of view on their belongings. A little rust inside dont bother me. But swelled pellets would not be good. My location affords me dry, low moisture summers, so humidity is not an issue. But I have friends in areas that have very high humidity in the summer, like in Texas near the water. I can only imagine the mess a hopper half full of pellets would be in that humidity.

Reactions: Tonyray
Last edited:
Damp rid is just calcium chloride packaged to be really expensive. Just get some used for melting snow. You can get a whole 5 lb bag for less than $10.

Warmed air is always low in RH%. So, I put a DriRod under each of my stoves, before closing the fireplace doors for the summer. Before using these, I used to also have rust problems.

https://drirod.com

Edit: I actually have GoldenRod heaters under my stoves. The DriRod is in my gun safe.