Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01 for small cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chris_01

Jan 17, 2019
Cloudcroft, NM
Looking to purchase a wood stove for a small cabin up in Cloudcroft, NM (8668' elevation). The cabin is about 700 sq ft and relatively drafty. The walls are insulated and new windows were just installed however the floors are not insulated and they can get pretty cold during the winter season. Currently on a budget and looking primarily for a non-cat wood stove. The cabin is not a permanent home and we typically spend weekends there about 2-3 times a month.Originally planned on purchasing the englander nc-13, however just came across the englander madison for $599 at a nearby Lowes. Wondering if this stove will run us out of the cabin.

It will work, but at that altitude it's going to want a reasonably tall flue system to perform well. Same for the NC-13.

There is another thread about the Summers Heat stove with air leak problems due to the door not sealing correctly. You may want to look at the Lowe's reviews and the thread before purchase.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...sw02-door-problems.172122/page-4#post-2329101

I was interested in looking at Cloudcroft since we had been to Santa Fe and Taos. Looking at the satellite photo I noticed there are not a lot of trees in that area (compared to here in the east) and a lot of them are on the Indian reservation and the national forest. Will the wood supply be reasonably priced and available?

Have a 2.0 Cu Ft stove in a 800 sq ft cabin. It will easily get it to 80 degrees on small loads Unless the outside temp is down to 20 degrees or lower.

Looking to purchase a wood stove for a small cabin up in Cloudcroft, NM (8668' elevation). The cabin is about 700 sq ft and relatively drafty. The walls are insulated and new windows were just installed however the floors are not insulated and they can get pretty cold during the winter season. Currently on a budget and looking primarily for a non-cat wood stove. The cabin is not a permanent home and we typically spend weekends there about 2-3 times a month.Originally planned on purchasing the englander nc-13, however just came across the englander madison for $599 at a nearby Lowes. Wondering if this stove will run us out of the cabin.

That class of stoves often goes on sale in the spring/summer. There's usually some threads about it here when people see the sales pop up.

Sales will be starting soon, possibly by end of month. They happen when the big box stores are clearing inventory to make room for spring/summer items like lawn mowers and BBQs.

There is another thread about the Summers Heat stove with air leak problems due to the door not sealing correctly. You may want to look at the Lowe's reviews and the thread before purchase.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...sw02-door-problems.172122/page-4#post-2329101

that's the larger version of the stove, op was asking about the smaller version, which has an adjustable hinge, I think it'l work well for you, if you're going up on weekends and heating from cold to comfy you'll want a little extra punch then just burn smaller loads so it doesn't run you out.

I was interested in looking at Cloudcroft since we had been to Santa Fe and Taos. Looking at the satellite photo I noticed there are not a lot of trees in that area (compared to here in the east) and a lot of them are on the Indian reservation and the national forest. Will the wood supply be reasonably priced and available?
I can't tell you about the wood supply, but that's worth checking into with some locals. Take a look at the TrueNorth TN20 stove. It has a short secondary air supply route that may work better at high altitude.

Well I know there's definitely plenty of pine here in cloudcroft that can be bought at a reasonable price seasoned and split. There's also plenty of designated dead and down areas where your allowed to cut your own hardwood with a $20 permit. Oak is a bit harder to come by, It can be bought locally but for about $325 a cord. This will be my first experience with a high efficiency EPA rated enclosed box stove like this so probably gonna have to get used to sourcing the wood. Before, we had a really old open fireplace and we would basically just burn any wood we could find outside.

Reactions: armanidog
Stick with softwoods your first year. Softwoods like pine can be ready to burn in one year if you keep them covered.

I've never bought wood, but I hear that it is generally not a good experience.

Spend one weekend processing pine, and you should be good for a couple years of weekend burning.

Reactions: armanidog
Madison is a little cute stove with some good features like adjustable hinges, AAS, big glass for fireview show etc. If you set it up right you will like it. I have both, the Madison and the big brother. In my opinion I prefer the Madison.

YOU have to read these stove reviews carefully. I read one review about this stove where the owner complained about ashes falling out on his CARPET!!!. Really? Hes got carpet right up to the front of the stove .Good luck with that setup. Id keep the carpet at east 3 ft or more away from the stove area.

Sales will be starting soon, possibly by end of month. They happen when the big box stores are clearing inventory to make room for spring/summer items like lawn mowers and BBQs.
They have started already. The Big SHSS-50 is down to $749 from $999 ,smaller stoves also discounted. I paid $729 for my7 SHSS-50 2 yrs ago. The 2000SQ ft model is down to $599 ,but for some reason the smaller 1800 Sqft model is still $759

Madison is a little cute stove with some good features like adjustable hinges, AAS, big glass for fireview show etc. If you set it up right you will like it. I have both, the Madison and the big brother. In my opinion I prefer the Madison.
Agreed, though at 2.45 cu ft it's not exactly little. The Madison is only .7 cu ft smaller than the larger brother.

Agreed, though at 2.45 cu ft it's not exactly little. The Madison is only .7 cu ft smaller than the larger brother.
Yeah, you are right.lol. I am going more for the visual look than actual size. It looks way smaller than the big brother.
I tell you what, you can load it almost close to the big brother. The big brother has the dog house almost in the middle of the firebox, causing the packing a little hard. The dog house on the Madison is at front like part of the frame giving you the whole firebox to accommodate the wood. Thinking about it, I went with the big brother for the bigger belly but is not that much difference.