Summers Heat 2400-sq ft 50-SHSSW02 Door Problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, has it arrived? Does it check out with a straight-edge?

Its been 9 days since i heard from them. Called me on the 2nd of January to tell me they would schedule a turnaround at a nearby truck Depot. Was supposed to get a call the next day from someone but until now the call never came. Ill be emailing "Travis " today as to what the hold up is.

Its beens 13 days since i heard anything. Iv been emailing since last thursday and no response there either and to get through to someone on the phone is just impossible. How long would it take for them to send a one sentence email telling me whats going on. They already said they are replacing the entire stove and that it would take a week or so and that i would get a call the following day with details. That was 2 weeks ago....haven't heard for anyone since.

Just got an email from the service tech iv been dealing with. He said he is also still waiting for the info i need to do the stove turnaround. promises that it should happen in a day or 2. Im just happy that some progress is being made and the replacement stove is in the pipeline (somewhere). Hoping to get many test burns with it this winter. Very cold weather coming soon.

3 words. Better Business Bureau! Just kidding. What a frustrating experience. Good luck.

3 words. Better Business Bureau! Just kidding. What a frustrating experience. Good luck.
Im not at that point. I do realize this all happened over the xmas and New year holidays. Im happy they have agreed to completely replace the stove and not start sending me new doors and oversized gaskets or other band aids. Im reasonably certain the new stove has the modifications needed to prevent all this warping. Im sure they dont want to be swapping out stove for years to come.

Im not at that point. I do realize this all happened over the xmas and New year holidays. Im happy they have agreed to completely replace the stove and not start sending me new doors and oversized gaskets or other band aids. Im reasonably certain the new stove has the modifications needed to prevent all this warping. Im sure they dont want to be swapping out stove for years to come.

How long would it take them to send a stove to Lowes?
You first contacted them on December 6.
I have an Englander NC-30. Why didn't you go with the Englander brand since you have two according to your sig?
Anyway, good luck.
Out of curiosity I looked at the Lowe's reviews and the first one from 2016 said:
"We got our first stove from Lowes. We soon noticed that we could see fire between the door gasket and the frame. We thought that was a problem, so I called Englander. They sent me the same 3/4" gasket and some adjustable hinges for a different stove. This stove does not have adjustable hinges. I called them and sent pics and video of the leaking door, and they said it was defective. They sent another whole stove from VA to WA. Guess what - same problem. I could have said eat it to them or Lowes, but I found that by replacing the 3/4" gasket with a 1" (not 7/8"!!!), it pretty much seals it up like it was designed. So if you get one of these stoves, be prepared to replace the factory gasket with a 1" for around $25-30 bucks, and then it's a pretty good stove. No wonder the last reviewer had his wood burn up so fast. There is something like a 1/16" to 1/8" gasket leak on the hinge side of the door. I took a video of a fire burning and I saw the fire from the outside. If you have one, just look at how the gasket is smashed on the lever side, and hardly any indent on the hinge side. I could not get them to take it seriously."
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2400-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove/999918850

So this problem has been around for 2-3 years.

How long would it take them to send a stove to Lowes?
You first contacted them on December 6.
I have an Englander NC-30. Why didn't you go with the Englander brand since you have two according to your sig?
Anyway, good luck.
Thats a good idea ,sending the stove to Lowes ,its only 20 miles from me ,ill suggest that.
Were talking about the same company. Both stoves SHSS-50 and the NC-30 are made by the same company as far as i know. The 50 has new and updated features the NC-30 doesnt have. First it sits high on a pedestal while the 30 is practically floor level. The 50 is a much better looking stove with huge fireview and its a lot easier to load the tall firebox. The door glass stays cleaner with a better air wash system. Also, im constantly hitting the tubes and refractory material in the 30 trying to stack wood in such a short squatty stove. If they can fix the design flaws ,or at least beef up the thin metal around the stove door ,it would be better than the 30 in every way IMO. I have 2 NC-30s but will be selling one in the next few years. Was kind of hoping they wouldnt ask for the stove back so i could experiment on it ,but they do want it back.

Last edited:
Stove was burning very clean ,not sure if its because of all the extra air coming in but it did burn clean from day 1.Even the firebrick are clean. My NC-30s door glass was never that clean.
ATTACH]238609[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20181130_173517.jpg
    20181130_173517.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 341
Look like the wheels are slowly turning. Englander found a shipping company about 45 minutes from me and they are testing the stove for a couple days before sending it out. Looks like im coming down the home stretch finally.

Reactions: Hogwildz and Ludlow
They are testing and all... may take longer, but looks like they want to make sure you're taken care of with no surprises.

Shipping company is in Milton so only about 40 minutes from me. I checked a new stove at lowes to see if i could see any modifications but hard to tell. I didnt see anything obvious. Did have a nice tight seal around the door., but then so did mine when new. Today would have been a great day to test drive the new stove.

My stove has finally shipped and its sitting at the trucking co in Milton Pa. I plan on picking it up today or tomorrow. Just in time for the arctic blast. Shouldnt have to do breakin fires as it was already tested at the factory.

Reactions: charger4406
Well i have to say im a bit disappointed in the new stove. After getting it unpacked and in place a quick check revealed the door is just as warped as the one i sent back. Im not sure about the stove body ,ill check that tomorrow, but at least the door seems to seat tight with the gasket making up the difference.
I just find it hard to believe they dont make a door for that stove thats not bowed in the middle. The one i recently checked at lowes looked fine .Ill try a test burn tomorrow to see if the stovetop temps stay within reason.

Last edited:
When the tech told me they wanted to test the stove before it went out i was thinking ,good theres no way they would send me a stove with another warped door ,but thats exactly what i got. Im going to take some measurements today before i do my first burn, and record exactly what the original condition is so i can closely monitor if it gets worse over time. Door seems to seal OK for now.

I'm interested to see what happens, I seen this stove at lowes the other day and checked
the door with a level (borrowed in store) and there was no bows in the door or body that
I could see, I wish you luck.

I'm interested to see what happens, I seen this stove at lowes the other day and checked
the door with a level (borrowed in store) and there was no bows in the door or body that
I could see, I wish you luck.
I did the same. The same stove at the store is fine. I cant believe they sent me a new stove with a bowed door again,as if they dont have a single door at the factory thats not bowed. The stove door at lowes is NOT bowed.

They may have sent you a "refurbished" unit, having only changed a gasket.

I didnt ck the stove body yet,im going over to the the house where its installed shortly, ill ck everything before i fire it up the first time. As long as the stove body is flat ,i may have to have them send me a door if that gets any worse. I know they do get progressively worse as my first stove did.

THe new stove failed the Dollar bill test before i even lit my first fire in it. Just on the bottom though, not on 3 sides like the old stove. Looks like the fix is a fat gasket on the bowed door. The fire is controllable for now. The stove body is also warped IN top and bottom and the latch side is bowed OUT slightly. Ill update with some pics later.

Might be a good idea to contact Englander and mention a follow up with the US product safety commission, after all this is a ansi cert product

I hope this can be resolved soon, you have been more than patient with this company.

Might be a good idea to contact Englander and mention a follow up with the US product safety commission, after all this is a ansi cert product
Ill be contacting the Rep that handled the replacement stove. Im using the new stove and its operating fine right now, but so did my first stove until the warped door and stove body got progressively worse with only 2 dozen fires in the stove,until it got to the point where i could no longer control the stove temps. It really is a safety issue. Stove stays just under 600 on low air feed which is their recommended operating temp.

I hope this can be resolved soon, you have been more than patient with this company.
Its a shame because the stove has such great burning characteristics. Burns very hot and clean, door glass stays very clean.Puts out a lot of radiant heat thru that huge front door glass. Of my 5 stoves(at various locations) from 3 different Mfgs, its my favorite stove to run. At least tied with my Harman and easier to operate. And its a darn good looking stove too IMO.