Summers Heat 2400-sq ft 50-SHSSW02 Door Problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well just about month after this all started i got a call from Englander. They offered to do a turn-around which is to say they will ship me a new stove to the nearest truck terminal where i will take my old stove to swap it. Just in time as the door glass fell out yesterday as i was starting some kindling,from the warped door i presume. Good thing i didnt have much wood in there ,or i would have had a serious problem with a load of wood burning with no door glass at all in place. Im happy to be getting a brand new stove and not just a new door. The tech did say that englander did NOT make any design changes to this model,or beef up the door in any way. He said my problem is not that common ,which im not sure i totally agree ,unless they just had a run of warped doors that no one detected. Ill be doing the dollar bill test as soon as i get it home. I think ill send in the warranty card this time.

Last edited:
He did say the whole process would take a week or more ,im anxious to get some burning time in with this stove which i cant use at all now since the door glass fell out and smashed. It is a serious heating machine being the largest of 3 styles just like it. I was kind of hoping they would not ask for the old stove back as my son has a machine shop and metal fabrication shop. I was going to experiment with a fix for it,but of course ill take a new stove.

Promised to call me thursday with the shipping details, but as usual no call Thursday or Friday. I told the tech to email me with the shipping details as im not always available to the phone. Not very good with the follow through. I do appreciate them agreeing to replace the entire stove ,even though i have it about 2 yrs. Ill use the new one a lot more often ,if just to make sure it doesnt have the same defects. Should get quite a few dozen burns with what left of the heating season.

Well just about month after this all started i got a call from Englander. They offered to do a turn-around which is to say they will ship me a new stove to the nearest truck terminal where i will take my old stove to swap it. Just in time as the door glass fell out yesterday as i was starting some kindling,from the warped door i presume. Good thing i didnt have much wood in there ,or i would have had a serious problem with a load of wood burning with no door glass at all in place. Im happy to be getting a brand new stove and not just a new door. The tech did say that englander did NOT make any design changes to this model,or beef up the door in any way. He said my problem is not that common ,which im not sure i totally agree ,unless they just had a run of warped doors that no one detected. Ill be doing the dollar bill test as soon as i get it home. I think ill send in the warranty card this time.
Take a straight edge with you and check it right there. I would refuse the shipment if it is anything like the original.

EDIT: For a straight edge any quality 2' level should work. That was all I used and it worked pretty good.

Last edited:
Take a straight edge with you and check it right there. I would refuse the shipment if it is anything like the original.

EDIT: For a straight edge any quality 2' level should work. That was all I used and it worked pretty good.

If you crack open an undamaged container they probably wont allow a refusal at that point.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Englander expects you to open and inspect before accepting delivery.

Im personally bothered a little by this whole saga, I know lots of people that are on tight budgets and always recommend Englanders, reading this experience has me thinking otherwise. Not to sound like I'm pulling the trigger to early, this was a company only a few years ago that prided themselves with customer service and US manufacturing.
Also I do remember reading a few threads about the summers heat stoves having this problem, but the stoves were supposedly sent back to Englander and they corrected the issue, this doesn't seem like it was truly corrected.
Some thing is up here, and it needs to be fixed, sounds like a small company that went corporate on themselves.

Check before accepting sounds like a great idea.

Side note? Having the door glass fall out and break is waaay abnormal. Any chance your biggest issue has just been explained? No offense but......Wow

Check before accepting sounds like a great idea.
Side note? Having the door glass fall out and break is waaay abnormal. Any chance your biggest issue has just been explained? No offense but......Wow
I didnt realize it was so loose .Good thing i only had a few pieces of wood going,if i had a whole stove full of wood going it could have gotten serious fast.

i used a 48 in drywall t square to check it.
I was just at lowes yesterday looking at their new ones ,they are nice and straight and it does look a little the door frame is a little heavier. Nice tight seal all around. I wonder why one tech says they were beefed up and another says no modifications were ever made.

It might have been a production error in the early manufacturing. This problem showed up right a way on the first units we saw here.

i used a 48 in drywall t square to check it.
I was just at lowes yesterday looking at their new ones ,they are nice and straight and it does look a little the door frame is a little heavier. Nice tight seal all around. I wonder why one tech says they were beefed up and another says no modifications were ever made.

There’s a penalty for fixing things and telling people you did it. If I am buying a product I want the new version so the old version turns into worthless junk.

Reactions: Chas0218
It might have been a production error in the early manufacturing. This problem showed up right a way on the first units we saw here.
Yes it did. Only reason why im dealing with it now instead of a yr and a half ago is i only did about 2 doz burns in the stove since new. So im glad they are still replacing it after almost 2 yrs from purchase.

Reactions: Chas0218
I had my stove for a year and a half before I completed the install and burned the first fire.

Ill be sure to send in the warranty card this time and put a lot more hours on the new stove to determine if the flaws have been ironed out.

Yes it did. Only reason why im dealing with it now instead of a yr and a half ago is i only did about 2 doz burns in the stove since new. So im glad they are still replacing it after almost 2 yrs from purchase.
Pretty sure they have a 3 year warranty.

Steel in the stove body is kind of thin around the door where the door seats. looks like 1/8th inch. That seems too thin to me. The front of the stove is wide and can easily warp particularly along the bottom with such thin steel. If the stove were out of warranty id be welding some angle iron inside to beef up that area. Outside this problem there is a lot to love about this stove. I gave it a great review on lowes website shortly after i purchased it and still stand by that review. I may update it after i get the new stove.

Checked my door last night and all is good with mine still. I should've taken a picture but didn't think of it. I wouldn't worry too much bout the thickness of the steel. In my opinion the plate steel used is tons stronger and less brittle than double the thickness cast iron which many stoves are still made from.

Checked my door last night and all is good with mine still. I should've taken a picture but didn't think of it. I wouldn't worry too much bout the thickness of the steel. In my opinion the plate steel used is tons stronger and less brittle than double the thickness cast iron which many stoves are still made from.
The whole door IS cast iron from the looks of it.

I think they did some modifications despite one of the tech s telling me they didnt. I cant imagine them replacing all those stoves and not addressing the issue. Just the fact that they are replacing stoves for the same issue,they know there was a defect.