Summers Heat 2400-sq ft 50-SHSSW02 Door Problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Its a shame because the stove has such great burning characteristics. Burns very hot and clean, door glass stays very clean.Puts out a lot of radiant heat thru that huge front door glass. Of my 5 stoves(at various locations) from 3 different Mfgs, its my favorite stove to run. At least tied with my Harman and easier to operate. And its a darn good looking stove too IMO.

Hey Seasoned. Sorry about your trevails.

You've been too patient about this. They left you hanging way too long in the middle of winter and then sent you another defective product. As they sold you a dangerous and defective product, you should have been helped immediately, "right to the front of the line, sir".

I think it's high time to go hot on them at this point.

You are a loyal customer (3 Englander stoves for God's sake!). And patient, to a fault.

Write a letter to the ceo, president, whatever is at the top.

Explain your experience, in detail, timeline, etc. Explain that if this is not resolved immediately, the next letter will be going to thier state attorney general, BBB, their local TV station, and a class action law firm. Give a deadline, specific date.

Provide a simple solution- "I'll gladly pick up one of the non-defective stoves at Lowe's, you make the arrangements."

Be prepared to follow through.

I highly doubt you will need to.

Hey Seasoned. Sorry about your trevails.

You've been too patient about this. They left you hanging way too long in the middle of winter and then sent you another defective product. As they sold you a dangerous and defective product, you should have been helped immediately, "right to the front of the line, sir".

I think it's high time to go hot on them at this point.

You are a loyal customer (3 Englander stoves for God's sake!). And patient, to a fault.

I sent them an email outlining the problems with the replacement stove. No1., i will be editing my original glowing review of the stove on the Lowes website.
At this point i have to assume all the large stoves in that line are defective. I will try to get he rest of this season out of this replacement stove as i have been too long already without a stove at this location. With the oversized door gasket in place, the stove operates correctly (for now) but if the door or stove body gets any worse (which i expect it will) ill be back to square one. At a minimum they will have to replace the door on this one ,its as bad or worse than my original stove.

Englander is asking for pictures of defects in the replacement stove. Since i have been without a stove for so long at this location thru the worst of the winter now ,iv decided to use this stove for the remainder of the winter as long as the door seal does not get any worse. So far i can control this stove and keep stovetop temps below 600 . Perhaps if it gets worse i can get them to send me a straight door ,if they actually have one?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Sorry that this model has not turned out well. You've been more than patient. If you need a replacement that has a big window, take a look at the Heatilator WS22.

The issue here is the size of the door. When it is a good sales point it has its downside. Being flat at the stove body where the gasket seals, the dollar bill test in my experience is not as with other stoves with knife. I used to test it and get good resistance when I pulled the bill.
If you look for it hold it, then you are putting too much pressure at the latch side. Too much pressure at the latch and the door will bow with hot burns eventually.

So far this seems specific to this model. There are other stoves with big doors and large glass area that are not having this issue.

Dang, I was kind of interested in this stove. My interest has gone down now with this ordeal. Kind of sounds like a crap shoot on the quality end.

I am sure there is an issue with the door. That's why I always say that the Madison is better stove all around if it is the right size for you of course.

Englander is asking for pictures of defects in the replacement stove. Since i have been without a stove for so long at this location thru the worst of the winter now ,iv decided to use this stove for the remainder of the winter as long as the door seal does not get any worse. So far i can control this stove and keep stovetop temps below 600 . Perhaps if it gets worse i can get them to send me a straight door ,if they actually have one?
Do you have the ability to take digital pictures with a smart phone or digital camera, or know someone who can help you who does?

Do you have the ability to take digital pictures with a smart phone or digital camera, or know someone who can help you who does?
I already sent them the pictures from my smart phone. The stove body as you can see here has almost an 1/8th gap in the center.Also you can see the wavy top of the door and the bottom of the door has full 1/8 bow in the bottom center.
20190130_114851.jpg

Attachments

• 20190130_115159.jpg
    20190130_115159.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Sorry that this model has not turned out well. You've been more than patient. If you need a replacement that has a big window, take a look at the Heatilator WS22.
I could fix this stove, as my son has a welding shop and he does fabrication. But of course you really dont expect to have to re engineer the stove at your own expense. I like the burning characteristics so much so, that im determined to get this to work. As of now the replacement stove is controllable and i can keep the stovetop under 600 with the air control. So there in not much if any extra air getting in yet. Ill use it the rest of this season if i can and try to possibly get a good door if it warps further.

I already sent them the pictures from my smart phone. The stove body as you can see here has almost an 1/8th gap in the center.Also you can see the wavy top of the door and the bottom of the door has full 1/8 bow in the bottom center.
View attachment 240110
We're you able to get a picture of the bow in the bottom of the door?

I'm assuming the bow in the bottom of the door bows out? Which would make the gap at the bottom 1/4" when closed?

We're you able to get a picture of the bow in the bottom of the door?

I'm assuming the bow in the bottom of the door bows out? Which would make the gap at the bottom 1/4" when closed?
I did but it was too dark ,ill have take the door off and flip it up. Your correct 1/8 stove bow and 1/8 dor bowed out ,1/4 in gap but like i said the fat door gasket makes up most of the difference now, but as the gasket flattens the gap will increase.

I did but it was too dark ,ill have take the door off and flip it up. Your correct 1/8 stove bow and 1/8 dor bowed out ,1/4 in gap but like i said the fat door gasket makes up most of the difference now, but as the gasket flattens the gap will increase.
Understand. Looks like they just sent you a refurb with a fatter gasket, or perhaps one out of the inventory of bad ones. Not good.

This seems like a significant design defect that would cause an overfire. And they know about it and sent you another one. Yuck.

This seems like a significant design defect that would cause an overfire. And they know about it and sent you another one. Yuck.
Worst part about it ,they said they were testing it for a few days before sending it out
,but i dont think it ever had a fire in it. I had to burn off the assembly oils.smoked quite a bit. So id say no one tested it ,and they sent me a stove with all the same problems. I did inspect one of these models at lowes about a month ago and it looked fine ,no door warpage,nice gasket seal,i didnt use straight edge but by eye it looked great.

I just received an email telling me to remember that the warranty in effect right now is the original warranty from the date of purchase of the original stove which leaves me 2 yrs to go. Meaning after 2 more years they can bail. Should be enough time to tell if this stove can be salvaged. Did my second fire today. Able to maintain 620 or below with the air on lowest with about a half a stove full of wood. After a few more fires, ill do the dollar test to see if any changes.

Last edited:
Iv had about a half dozen fires in the replacement stove so far and its maintaining temps and controllable. My plan is to get the rest of this season out of the stove then see if they will at least send me a flat door or whatever they come up with,in the spring. I continue to be amazed at the burning characteristics of this stove. Its mesmerizing, the flame floats around the firebox in slow motion unlike any of my other stoves. Enhanced by the huge door glass,it really puts on a show. Ill try to take a video of it. Plus somehow unlike my NC-30, i never have unburned coals, burns all the wood to a fine powder.

Now getting some of my secondaries from the door gasket. 20190222_153732.jpg

At what temp it is burning to heat room air that quick/instantly and create secondaries. I know for experience they burn hot, but wow.

At what temp it is burning to heat room air that quick/instantly and create secondaries. I know for experience they burn hot, but wow.
About 550-600 stove top temp. Air adj. at the lowest setting. As of now after 6 fires its still not leaking enough to overheat the stove but its getting slightly worse with each fire. Gets easier to control as it gets warmer outside and the draft weakens. I believe as long as the internal stove temps are above 1100 fresh air will light off the smoke. From what iv read on the Harman website anyway.

That’s a really cool picture of a leaky door gasket!
Its probably the one ill send to englander requesting a new (Straight) door. Fails the dollar bill test across most of the bottom as is obvious.

Going for one of your pictures in the past, I thing the body of the stove where the gasket seals is not flat neither. I dont know if just the door will do it

Going for one of your pictures in the past, I thing the body of the stove where the gasket seals is not flat neither. I dont know if just the door will do it
Thats true. Ill have to see what they suggest at englander. If they want to do another stove swap thats fine by me but this time i want a flat stove and door as i have to drive an hour round trip to the truck depot to swap out the stove. Not to mention getting help moving it in and out of the house onto a truck.

Thats true. Ill have to see what they suggest at englander. If they want to do another stove swap thats fine by me but this time i want a flat stove and door as i have to drive an hour round trip to the truck depot to swap out the stove. Not to mention getting help moving it in and out of the house onto a truck.
I guess we all knew that this was going to happen. Too bad. Please don't stop bugging them until they make it right. We are rooting for you.