Summers Heat-ESW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet the OP didn't think so many things could contribute to what is happening.

Should I look to change the low air burn from 4 to 6 as recommended by Smokey?

Also, can I run my temporary setup if it seems to improve things until I am able to vent it through the roof? I do not see where it would be am issue seeing that a recommended installation method uses all horizontal piping with a termination cap.

I would correct the venting it is far enough out of spec that 6 for a LBA might not do the job with the pellets he has.

Also, can I run my temporary setup if it seems to improve things until I am able to vent it through the roof? I do not see where it would be am issue seeing that a recommended installation method uses all horizontal piping with a termination cap.
Yes, switch the LBA to 6 and try running the stove.

As for the horizontal install, that is NOT recommended by Englander at all. Again, look at your owners manual. Englander ALWAYS recommends at least 4' of vertical in the system, but in this case, it's worth a try temporarily.

If the stove manual says it is fine go for it. Usually ESW requires a vertical section in their vent setups. I don't have the manual for your stove in front of me. The manual rules and we all drool.

I have done enough reading through here to understand that these things are finicky. I wish I was comfortable enough cutting a hole in my roof and installing the flashing correctly as I believe that set up would work for me.

I just read through the manual on venting and on page 10 it says the a vertical run of at least 36" is REQUIRED for your stove..

I just read through the manual on venting and on page 10 it says the a vertical run of at least 36" is REQUIRED for your stove..

Yes I do see that as well. It might have been Duravents site that I looked at that showed the termination with no vertical rise.

The manual states that the setting s for the three lower buttons should not be adjusted by the user. I don't see any documentation on how to change the setting on these.

When you displayed them you could have changed them by pressing the up or down arrow buttons IIRC. I'm sure imacman can tell you.

The emphasis on venting needs addressed. But if the stove does operate as it should sporadically, then an airflow issue that he can be at fault for is the likely culprit. My Shop stoves have had almost the same set-up. But 5 ft of vert and 4 ft of horizontal and the 17 yr old PDV and brand new CPM burn great.

I would bump the LBA up to 6 and make sure the pot is seated correctly and door latch is Tight!!

I thought it would be that easy but it does not appear to be the case.

Press both Up arrows at the same time (heat and blower) after you press thr LBA button and see the #4. Then press both buttons twice.

When you displayed them you could have changed them by pressing the up or down arrow buttons IIRC. I'm sure imacman can tell you.
Press the LBA button, then press BOTH up arrows....that will raise the number.

The thing that throws me for a loop is that the burnpot will sometimes fill all the way to the top with ash. And sometimes it won't. The stove has been running for about 6 hours now. I have just a slight haze on the glass and the burnpot is completely clear or substance. Everything is getting forced out and into the ash tray.

Are you venting into the wind?

Anyway, so much for vents, check every thing else that has been mentioned as well.

Being that it is an intermittent problem. I suspect the door latch/gasket.

Maybe you are not closing the door enough and the gasket doesn't seal. That unit has a large Bay Window. I know how they can be a pain in the @ss.

Try the dollar bill test on several points along all sides. The dollar should have a good amount of resistance or not move at all.

Another area to check, is how the burn pot sits in the receptacle. If its loose, or wobbly, then you will lose air there also. Any point where air doesn't go through the pot, is going to greatly affect performance.

The emphasis on venting needs addressed. But if the stove does operate as it should sporadically, then an airflow issue that he can be at fault for is the likely culprit. My Shop stoves have had almost the same set-up. But 5 ft of vert and 4 ft of horizontal and the 17 yr old PDV and brand new CPM burn great.

I would bump the LBA up to 6 and make sure the pot is seated correctly and door latch is Tight!!

The thing that throws me for a loop is that the burnpot will sometimes fill all the way to the top with ash. And sometimes it won't. The stove has been running for about 6 hours now. I have just a slight haze on the glass and the burnpot is completely clear or substance. Everything is getting forced out and into the ash tray.

Reactions: KMinNH
I am sure that my vent setup has something to do with my issues. My hands are however tied at the moment until I either find someone to vent it for me or I get the balls to do it myself. I just shut the stove down and changed the LBA to 6. I'm gonna clean off the glass and run it over night to see if that helps with the issue. I appreciate your guys help with this. It obvious that I am a novice. I did try to do things correctly to the best of my abilities.

I am sure that my vent setup has something to do with my issues. My hands are however tied at the moment until I either find someone to vent it for me or I get the balls to do it myself. I just shut the stove down and changed the LBA to 6. I'm gonna clean off the glass and run it over night to see if that helps with the issue. I appreciate your guys help with this. It obvious that I am a novice. I did try to do things correctly to the best of my abilities.
Hang in there.....you'll get it eventually. These stoves take a little while to figure out, since every install is different.

Oh, about Smokey's question before.....which way does the prevailing wind come from in your area? (your signature isn't filled out, so we don't know where you are) Is the stove exhaust facing the prevailing wind? There have been cases where the wind will pressurize the exhaust, slowing the exhaust and the stove will burn poorly. But you have an OAK, so that shouldn't really matter.

A few feet over EVL may affect the burn. But it would Not make it sporadic. (Sometimes it burns good/Sometimes it wont)

A sporadic issue is more likely user/operator error. Something as simple as not latching the door will cause a sporadic burn (shut tight/not burn pot bypass and a good burn-- not shut tight/leaky door gasket and chitty burn) :(

Have you checked your OAK inlet screen? It may have a leaf over it?

My point is, if it were your venting, it would be The SAME every time. No deviation. I have 2 Englanders and a set up that is over 15 EVL and it burns great!! The sister stove to yours (new generation top feed) uses the same blowers and motors. :)

Hang in there.....you'll get it eventually. These stoves take a little while to figure out, since every install is different.

Oh, about Smokey's question before.....which way does the prevailing wind come from in your area? (your signature isn't filled out, so we don't know where you are) Is the stove exhaust facing the prevailing wind? There have been cases where the wind will pressurize the exhaust, slowing the exhaust and the stove will burn poorly. But you have an OAK, so that shouldn't really matter.

Unless the OAK is facing in another direction or is out of the wind.

I live in northern CT. Just south of Springfield MA.

Thanks again Smokey.

My wall thimble is the the Duravent one with the integrated air connection.

A friend of mine has an Englander stove. The 1500 sq/ft one. I recall his air intake making a lot more noise than mine does. You could almost hear it sucking the air in. Mine doesn't seem to be that way.

So what exactly does the LBA setting do? My stove is now fired back up. The flame seems to be "dancing" around more than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.