Summers Heat-ESW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoerBoelAmari

Oct 24, 2012
I have been trying to contact ESW's for a great part of today to troubleshoot some problems that I am having with my SH Evolution stove. Each time I call I get a busy signal. I ran a quick Google search and it appears other people have had this issue as well. Does anyone know what either hours are?

I'll list the issues that I am having here as well to see if anyone has some insight.

My stove is vented using a 45, 90, and clean out tee. There are a few pieces of horizontal piping. Total EVL does not exceed 15. My piping is all 3" Duravent Pro.

#1) Over the course of using the stove my burnpot will fill to the top with fuel. Almost like the ash isn't getting blown out into the ash pan. Therefore it just sits in the pot and accumulates. I have to pull out the burnpot and clean it about every 8 hours.

I removed the faux log set because I thought it must be disrupting air flow. Still no change.

About every 4th bag I will seem to not have any issues. However when this happens ash will accumulate along the window therefore creating quite the mess when I open the door.

#2) My glass will become covered with soot within 4-6 hours of use when the burnpot fills with ash. When the ash is being blown out the glass will stay clean for a much longer time.

I have tried Eco-Flame softwood pellets and Maines Pellets.

What heat settings are you using, and what are your bottom button settings?

I am typically around 3 for a heat setting and 5 for a fan speed setting. I typically leave the faux log set out as it gives me a better view of the burnpot. I don't know if this is why I get such a buildup of ash on the front door (when the ash is being blown out).

I have never touched the three bottom buttons as my instructions stated that they were all preset from the factory.

I called ESW at 530 and the phone finally rang, but got the machine saying that the office was closed.

How long have you had the stove?

How much fuel have you run through it?

When was the last time you did a complete cleaning?

Do you have an OAK hooked up?

Also the questions imacman asked.......

I have had the stove for about 3 months. The stove does have an OAK. No outrageous bends or lengths. About 2 feet and a straight shot. I have run through about a 1/3 of a ton. I did a complete "yearly" cleaning about a week ago.

No idea. Whatever the factory presets are.

None of the three buttons are selected.

Has your stove ever experienced a power failure?

Is it plugged into a surge protector?

Please tell us what the lower three settings are along with the mode the stove is running in.

I count an EVL of 13 just for the bends and if you have those two 90 degree units back to back you are sunk.

Low fuel feed=1
Low burn air=4
Air on temp=1

No power surges or loss of power. Stove is plugged into a surge protector.

You could try running at 1, 6.,1

But I have an issue with your venting which can account for the bad burns all by itself. I'm not saying there aren't other things but it would really help to see that vent set up both inside the room and outside.

Get rid of the Eco Flame. Horrible pellet. Probably not contributing to the air flow problem you're describing, but they're an awful pellet.

I have a feeling it is going to be my venting. I'll make a change tomorrow and see if things get any better.

I knew the EVL numbers for the bends but forgot to factor is my vertical and horizontal rises.

My venting is as follows;
Stove adapter
6" length
45*
12" length
Clean out tee
5' vertical riser
90*
3' horizontal
Horizontal termination

I want to eventually vent the stove through my porch overhang. I don't have the know how to do it myself, so this was my next best option. I could do the following as a temp setup;

Stove adapter
6" length
45*
3' horizontal
Horizontal termination

That would put my EVL at 6 or so.

I have a buddy who installs these things but is unable to help me for a while venting it through the roof.

This was a new, used, or refurbished stove?

Is it possible to take some pics of the exhaust system? You're SURE the ash pan is seated tight and the door passes the "dollar bill" test? Did your "yearly cleaning" you removed the ash cleanout covers and made that area is clean? The entire exhaust system was checked for blockages?

Get rid of the Eco Flame. Horrible pellet. Probably not contributing to the air flow problem you're describing, but they're an awful pellet.

So I went to pick up some pellets. After reading here and other places I made the decision to go with Cubex. The money really wasn't the issue as burning gold would be cheaper that the cost of fuel oil. So I got talking to the guy at the warehouse and he talked me out of the Cubex and into the Eco-flames for at least the shoulder season.

Just a little story on how I ended up with what I have.

The original exhaust system you described has an EVL of 19....way too high for 3" pipe. The temp. setup you listed will help determine if it's the exhaust system.....give it a shot.

BTW, should have gone with your 1st choice....Cubex.

There ya go and be careful there is a rumor going on that it doesn't make any difference in how those bends are oriented but in pursuing many tables it does. EVL is a proxy for effective vent cross sectional area and is not exact.

Remember all venting must rise towards the termination end. 1/4 per foot rise in the horizontal portions.

Do not vent into the heating season prevailing winds.

This was a new, used, or refurbished stove?

Is it possible to take some pics of the exhaust system? You're SURE the ash pan is seated tight and the door passes the "dollar bill" test? Did your "yearly cleaning" you removed the ash cleanout covers and made that area is clean? The entire exhaust system was checked for blockages?

Explain the "dollar bill" test for me. I'm pretty sure that everything is tight and secure. The stove was purchased new from Lowes about 3 months ago. The wall thimble is the one that has the built in connection for the OAK.

The original exhaust system you described has an EVL of 19....way too high for 3" pipe. The temp. setup you listed will help determine if it's the exhaust system.....give it a shot.

BTW, should have gone with your 1st choice....Cubex.

Provided it is allowed by the stove manual.

Provided it is allowed by the stove manual.
No, it's actually not, but just for "testing" purposes to eliminate the high EVL, I think it would be helpful on a temporary basis.

The dollar bill test is talked about in your owners manual. Open the front door of a COLD stove, place dollar bill between door and stove, and close and latch the door. The dollar should NOT be able to be pulled out. Repeat all around the edge of the entire door.

I didn't recall seeing anything like that in the manual. I'll give it a shot though.

Being that it is an intermittent problem. I suspect the door latch/gasket.

Maybe you are not closing the door enough and the gasket doesn't seal. That unit has a large Bay Window. I know how they can be a pain in the @ss.

Try the dollar bill test on several points along all sides. The dollar should have a good amount of resistance or not move at all.

Another area to check, is how the burn pot sits in the receptacle. If its loose, or wobbly, then you will lose air there also. Any point where air doesn't go through the pot, is going to greatly affect performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.