Super 27 for $1,200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hello,

I've been on the lookout for a PE T5 or T6 but because of supply chain issues there isn't a timeframe on when one would be available. Someone close to where I live is selling a Super 27. I'm strongly considering buying this stove to see how it does this winter. Seems like a bargain. Worse case it doesn't put out enough heat, I don't like it and resell it and go with the T5 or T6 next winter. Best case i love it and heats our house enough and save some money vs spending $3800 on the T6 alone. I've requested pictures of the firebox and baffle. Any other concerns/questions I should address? I'm curious about the paint and why it was painted after 2 seasons.

Thanks!

SmartSelect_20210826-094640_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20210826-094645_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20210826-094704_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: farmer
I have to paint mine every spring as I have a coffee pot and a pot of water on the stove and it messes the paint up after a season of burning.no big deal.

IMO that's a good deal, 2 seasons isn't even broken in yet. The house I grew up in had a Super 27, in fact my parents still have it, 17 seasons and it's still going. I have a great fondness for that stove, it's burnt an almost unimaginable pile of wood, 4-5 cords a season for 17 years.

They've replaced the baffle on it once, the firebrick a few times, and the door gasket about 4 times. Otherwise been a solid stove. It could use a new window as it's pretty clouded, but it's still functional.

Sounds like a good plan. If the stove checks out ok, then this will give a taste of what the T5 will do for heating.

Some things to check: Why the repaint after just 2 yrs of service. That is unusual. What paint did they use? You will want to check the firebox for signs of overfiring. Did they provide any interior shots of the stove? Ask if the stove was modified in any way.

Attached are more pictures. I'm a little hesitant now. Firebrick was removed for moving purposes and broke in storage.. It was bought new several years ago but never used. Minor rust on top and painted to touch it up a bit is what the seller is saying. Rustoleum high heat paint was used, good up to 1200 degrees.

Firebrick id have to track down and buy. I don't know how hard that is to install.

Screenshot_20210826-111614_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210826-111207_Samsung capture.jpg Screenshot_20210826-111859_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210826-111851_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attached are more pictures. I'm a little hesitant now. Firebrick was removed for moving purposes and broke in storage.. It was bought new several years ago but never used. Minor rust on top and painted to touch it up a bit is what the seller is saying. Rustoleum high heat paint was used, good up to 1200 degrees.

Firebrick id have to track down and buy. I don't know how hard that is to install.

View attachment 281308

View attachment 281308 View attachment 281311 View attachment 281312 View attachment 281313
Forgot to post this one.

Screenshot_20210826-112856_Messenger.jpg

Re-paint was due to a pot of water slopping away on top I'd wager. Stove looks decent in the pics. Baffle doesn't appear to be warped significantly. If that's the case it sounds like a good way to cover your needs. Who knows, it may become a permanent fixture! Compared to 3800 it would free up some folding green for other needs. Worth a look.

That looks good. Grab it while you can. Given the present market, it could be a snooze ya lose situation. Firebrick is easy to put in. Do any of the original bricks come with it, even if some are broken?

Reactions: moresnow
That looks good. Grab it while you can. Given the present market, it could be a snooze ya lose situation. Firebrick is easy to put in. Do any of the original bricks come with it?
I don't believe so. I've Googled the firebricks. They do not look super complicated to install and should be readily available online if not at a local retailer.

The Super takes standard-sized pumice firebrick. A set is costly if bought from a dealer, but there are more affordable packs available online.

Another thing to check is that the insulating kaowool baffle side seals are still on each side of the baffle. You may be able to see them without removing the baffle.
See if they will sell the stove for $1000 due to the missing firebrick, but at $1200 this is not a bad deal.

Reactions: Draughts15
here is a few used ones in your area

Reactions: Draughts15
The second Super is an oldie. The 15 yr old Summit is interesting if no issues. Looks like it needs a new door gasket.

Is this the generation of PE stoves that got cracks leading away from the door corners? Something to check.

Is this the generation of PE stoves that got cracks leading away from the door corners? Something to check.
Not sure, 15 yrs may be before. I thought that was 2008-2009. I looked and didn't see any sign of cracking in the front corners, but it didn't happen to all stoves. Door gasket is falling off in that picture.

2006ish is the cracking issue era. It looks that stove was smouldered more than anything else, considering the side bricks appear to be covered in soot & creosote. You better grab that puppy while you can.

Oh, nevermind the creo comment, I didn't notice the bricks missing. Also, open the doiof and on the face of the stove just behind the top corners of the door, make sure there are no surface cracks. Also inside the stove in same areas.

LT UPPER OUT CORNER AT OPENING.JPG LT UPPER OUTER CORNER AT OPENING.JPG

Last edited:
This wood stove was purchased in 2008. Think im in the clear? The old age makes me a little nervous but seems like a bargain. Thanks all for the input.
Which one, the Super or the older Summit?
2006ish is the cracking issue era.
I thought that this came up later models. Some were reported after our stove was made (2007) IIRC.
Edit: I just searched back and found a 2010 Summit with the issue.

Last edited:
The Super 27 that I'm thinking of buying. 2-1-2008 purchased
OK, bought in 2008 but only used 2 seasons? It should be ok. The cracks were reported in some of the Summits of that vintage but I can't recall any for the Super.

I picked it up last night. It's a nice looking stove. I also got about a cord of well seasoned maple and oak. Planning on end of September install. I can't wait to fire it up! I'll write a review once I have it going. Thanks all for the feedback.

Good deal. Can you see the front end of the side sealing blankets showing along the side edges of the baffle?

I hate to be suspicious, but it is rare for wood to be fully seasoned. Check the wood for moisture content by resplitting and testing on the freshly exposed face of the wood. Do this before they unload if possible.

Attached are a few pictures of the white insulation type fabric. Does this look okay?

The wood was purchased from the lady I bought thr stove from. Sitting under cover for several years. I got lucky there.

20210903_161628.jpg 20210903_161618.jpg 20210903_161612.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam