Super 27not putting out enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheNatural

Dec 19, 2023
Newfoundland
My Super 27 is 2 years old and recently isn't putting out enough heat. The wood is dry. It's really windy, I don't know if that's a factor. Any thoughts? Also, can I put any stove thermometer on the side of the stove and get a reading or do I need a certain one?

Are you sure the wood is dry? The wood is usually the culprit.
How do the secondaries look? Are you using more air than usual?
What species of wood are you using?
I guess it’s possible you have an obstruction in your stove pipe or chimney. Or maybe a problem with the ebt.

I would put a thermometer on the stove top right before the flue collar. Im not sure how accurate it would be anywhere else. I’m sure begreen will let you know for sure. I think most people use a thermometer meant for single wall stove pipe, you can get them at any Lowe’s.

Are you sure the wood is dry? The wood is usually the culprit.
How do the secondaries look? Are you using more air than usual?
What species of wood are you using?
I guess it’s possible you have an obstruction in your stove pipe or chimney. Or maybe a problem with the ebt.

I would put a thermometer on the stove top right before the flue collar. Im not sure how accurate it would be anywhere else. I’m sure begreen will let you know for sure. I think most people use a thermometer meant for single wall stove pipe, you can get them at any Lowe’s.
The wood is dry birch, I don't think that's the problem. We arnt using the stove any different than we ever have, and the stove used to kick out too much heat if anything. I really don't know much about stoves, if there was a ebt problem how would I know?

The thermometer should be on the stove top.
Was the baffle removed and the flue cleaned this year? If so, was a rag stuffed in the secondary tube before cleaning?
Is there a screen on the cap? If yes, check it out for accumlated soot and crud.

Reactions: Enplater
No the baffle and flue wernt cleaned this year, we used the stove a few times the last couple winters but it's been getting steady use this year. There's a whirly for the cap. It was working fine up until 2 weeks ago. It's been very windy lately, 100km/60mph winds I don't know if that would have anything to do with it

Your house may be losing more heat in the wind. Without knowing the temps your stove was running last year and what they are running this year, it’s hard to tell if the stove is running cooler than last year or if your house is losing more heat.

Does the flame appear the same?

Your house may be losing more heat in the wind. Without knowing the temps your stove was running last year and what they are running this year, it’s hard to tell if the stove is running cooler than last year or if your house is losing more heat.

Does the flame appear the same?
No the flame isn't very good, it smolders but not much flame. We spoke to a Pacific Energy dealer today and she said it's a problem with the wood. Dead wood that may have been on the ground to long before it got to us. We dried it good but I guess the btu's are gone out of it. What do you think?

Moisture test the wood. 95% chance the wood is not seasoned enough.

Under 20% measured on a fresh split at room temperature.

you can usually buy some kiln dried wood from local stores and see if it fixes the problem or maybe the bio bricks or lumber (non pt)

You should be able to achieve a good secondary burn like this:

this is seasoned oak. Stove top temp is 690f, blower is on a lower setting and the condar probe thermometer reads about 700. My key damper is closed down about 45 degrees. 19f outside. I feel like this is a good burn for tonight. Yours should look like this as long as everything is working properly, I think your super is basically the same stove as my T5.

No the flame isn't very good, it smolders but not much flame. We spoke to a Pacific Energy dealer today and she said it's a problem with the wood. Dead wood that may have been on the ground to long before it got to us. We dried it good but I guess the btu's are gone out of it. What do you think?
This is probably the best clue of the issue. The birch may seem dry, but it could still be damp inside, or it could be decayed and punky which isn't going to burn as hot. Do you have access to other firewood or can you buy some know dry wood from a friend or grocery store as a test?

This is probably the best clue of the issue. The birch may seem dry, but it could still be damp inside, or it could be decayed and punky which isn't going to burn as hot. Do you have access to other firewood or can you buy some know dry wood from a friend or grocery store as a test?
Yes I can get some dry wood no problem. So I guess continuing to use the stove is not a big deal?

We don't know what is in the flue system. Have you removed the cap to take a look? If it's dry powdery soot then it should be fine to burn. If it is tarry or glaze creosote then it needs cleaning.